FutureWorks: Steering Phase 2

Steering races are listed here, don’t think there are any rides yet: The at Home Cycling & Running Virtual Training App

The steeringrace tag has only been added to the ZHQ races with steering but there are - based on my testing done today - other races with steering enabled (in fact it seems that all events tagged with nosteering are the ones with steering enabled :thinking: after the update).

My question is still open, I think…

Link to nosteering tagged events: The at Home Cycling & Running Virtual Training App

It went up today on my youtubes. Not posting a link because you know… they probably didn’t want me to?

Potentiometer steering. Okay so really just proof of the concepts

Debating a 3d printed design for a future video now that I’m back in the video things

3 Likes

@Keith_Wakeham-7256

I checked your channel daily to see when you upload something fun.

I actually have the hardware (hall effect sensor snd magnet) from my Arduino steering project.

1 Like

Repack Ridge is where the Sterzo Smart really comes into its own. None of this “choose a lane” auto-steering.

The only real problems I had with it are that it’s quite resistant to turning (noted previously), and there’s no way to adjust the sensitivity in Zwift.

I’d like to be able to adjust the sensitivity because even on full lock I couldn’t turn tightly enough for some of the bends on Repack Ridge. Indeed. I tried so hard to turn further that the Sterzo twisted underneath the bike, and I had to ride more than half the course with “straight on” actually meaning my handlebars were turned several degrees to the right.

The other problem is that when at the further extents of a turn, being out of the saddle means the whole thing’s pretty unstable. So some of the steep twisty parts of Repack Ridge are a little disconcerting. I also banged my knee on the bar end a few times.

These niggles aside, the Sterzo Smart really makes Repack Ridge fun to ride. It does feel more engaging that normal Zwift riding, and it definitely works better than the Companion steering. I tried the Companion steering with my phone mounted to the bars, and with it in my jersey pocket, but the Sterzo simply works better.

Indeed, I took my Repack Ridge (Zwift Insider verified) Strava segment time from a previous best of 10:21 down to 8:55. OK, average power was a little higher as well, but that was mostly because it was easier to keep on the power with it being easier to control the steering.

And I still nearly got 10/10 stars.

One thing that I really didn’t like was the enforced stop at the start of the Repack Ridge segment. I’ve chosen to ride it, I’ve got the Sterzo Smart enabled; just let me on to the course! It’s annoying to be stopped and have to click a button, then get a 5 second countdown before I can move again. It ruins the flow of the ride.

In conclusion: more offroad routes enabled for free steering, please. They don’t need to be as steep, mind. :smiley:

2 Likes

Got the not-Smart Sterzo. Been working ok through Repack Ridge before the update.
I did have a problem with it before the August update crashing at the end of the course.
But after the september update it won’ts steer. I have a tried and Android phone that has worked before and and IOS phone. I’m running and Apple TV that has worked fine before. Anyone else having a problem? Do I have to do anything new?

Okay, this was maddening. Got my Sterzo paired, ride to the start of Repack Ridge, and when I cross the start line the prompt comes up to either start the Repack course or stay on the Titans Grove course. The DEFAULT is to NOT start the Repack course! It starts counting down to the default choice and there’s no button that comes up on the Companion App, so I have to unclip and hop off the bike to run to my laptop to choose to ride Repack. I even have a keyboard mounted to my handlebars but couldn’t find any keys that would toggle the choice over to the non-default button (ride Repack)! It was maddening! When it timed out because I wasn’t fast enough to run over to my laptop and click the right button, it would put me back on the paved road and I would have to u-turn, go far enough down the road so that when I u-turned again it would give me the turn option to go to Repack and then start the whole maddening process over again! WTF!! If I navigate to the start line of RR, why would the default be to return to the road that I just turned away from?!!

Did I mention it was maddening?!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Left and Right arrow buttons.

Tried that, didn’t work. Tried to tab over too.

pairing is totally broken. sterzo is found, but then activating, then no signal, every ride, multiple times. today i tried 7 times before i gave up. incredibly frustrating.

What system are you using. Sterzo seem fine on Windows 10

windows 10

Try this:

Windows 10 Bluetooth:
Redistributable Packages . Close Zwift, download and install this, reboot your machine and try again. Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes All-in-One (Jul 2022) Download | TechPowerUp

Hi Gerrie, I already installed the runtime. I needed that to get Zwift to enable bluetooth connections. It also doesn’t explain why it works sometimes and not others. I believe this is due to the kludgy way Zwift and Sterzo partnered and the sending of some odd codes to authenticate to the sterzo in a non-standard proprietary way. It works sometimes, but more often than not, it doesn’t.

The Steering icon in the Zwifters Nearby UI to indicate riders who are using a steering device is a great add on, any ETA or news when we will be having back the option to steer in Grouprides (and/or races) ?
I want to use my sterzo more :slight_smile: asap please :slight_smile: Cheers Stephan

2 Likes

I’m disappointed that we weren’t warned that virtually no races or rides would support the Sterzo Smart steering when it was first made available in the zwift shop. As it is, it is just as good as a paper weight and a total waste of money.

I understand the argument that it skews competition on races, but no idea why rides and workouts are equally off limits. And, after all, different bikes and wheels also mess up with the level playing field. There are very few specific steering enabled races, and if the whole idea was to bring an additional tactical dimension to racing, this has been a total failure.

Can I get my money back :slight_smile: ?

6 Likes

Agree, it is really bad that sterzo can be use only in crit downtown dolphin and only once a day. Still the same race and the same route :man_facepalming:t3: Promised progress in a game is totally destroyed by this restriction.

3 Likes

all XRS races got steering enabled

1 Like