Free Ride workout --> incline and bias?

been using zwift for a couple months, trying to use the free-ride workout (e.g., 60 minute riders choice) for unstructured rides. conceptually its great, but i’m struggling with the INCLINE and BIAS options.

INCLINE – totally makes sense, but the tiny little control/display in the companion app is useless. when you dial up the incline, there’s no way to tell what you’ve dialed it up to! are we supposed to remember how many “pokes” we’ve made at the up-arrow?! seriously…why isnt there a simple numerical representation of what the currently-set incline value is?!

BIAS – what the heck is that?! i found this description, which suggests its an in-workout parameter that affects your FTP number, but if i’m doing a free-ride…why would my FTP number matter at all? that doesnt make sense, but if we had a better description it might be clearer.

FTP bias adjustment : this will increase or decrease the wattage targets for workouts where intervals are based on a percentage of your FTP. You can increase to 110% or decrease to 90%. Useful for those days when you’re feeling a little weak (or extra strong).

index

When tapping the incline you should also see a orange bar on the main zwift screen, to the right of the top middle info box.

Bias is used in workout mode, if you feel strong you can temporary increase the requirements for the intervals, up to 10%. Or you can lower the intensity if you had a hard week and cant meet your targets.

1 Like

Why not just ride without doing so in a workout (unless following a training plan, some plans have set free ride days)

When tapping the incline you should also see a orange bar on the main zwift screen, to the right of the top middle info box.

that helps…the orange bar is easier to see changes to incline compared to the companion app…but it would still be nice for an actual number of some kind to appear next to to the bar so you know exactly what you’re dialing in – even the orange bar isnt particularly precise or repeatable!

my rationale has to do with the feel of the trainer. i’d like to dial in an incline so that riding on the smart-trainer feels like the real world.

i.e., the same resistance ramp-up as on a flat road w/o any wind giving power/speed numbers that line up with reality.

it feels like roughly 6 “pokes” at the incline setting gets me there with my Neo2T.