Direct drive trainers worth it?

In the market for a new trainer, but I’m struggling with justifying the increased cost for a direct drive vs a wheel on trainer.

Looking for general thoughts on the different experience between the two and if direct drive trainers are really worth double the price

In the market for a new trainer, but I’m struggling with justifying the increased cost for a direct drive vs a wheel on trainer.

Looking for general thoughts on the different experience between the two and if direct drive trainers are really worth double the price

my issue got solved

External links removed

Worth it is a relative determination and there is no one right answer. For me personally, the answer is absolutely. I have friends with wheel on trainers and they complain about wheel slippage and some don’t ride certain courses because at steeper gradients they get some no what they try (other than setting the trainer difficulty down to 10-20%). On direct drive trainers, you don’t have this problem and that alone makes it worth it for me. Direct drive trainers tend to be more accurate with less calibration than the wheel on trainers.

If you are constantly taking your bike from the trainer and then going outside, the wheel on trainers have a potential advantage if you use the same wheel/tire for both. They generally cost less as well. Many people have successfully ridden lots of miles with few if any complaints with wheel on trainers so they clearly are the best for some and they can’t justify the expense.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Ride on.

Yes, they are