starting last week (i think), it seems like a change was made to how drafting works. there are so many psycho-somatic effects here that it’s difficult to say for sure, but here’s a list of odd behavior i’ve seen:
- in a group ride last night, i was in the lead going down a hill. the group leader was 25m behind. suddenly, group leader sped way up and passed me, pulling the rest of the group with him. he wasn’t putting out more watts than me. after he passed, i then shot out ahead of him.
- i rode with Bowie a few times, and i was really struggling to stay on his wheel. i’d shoot out ahead of him at 2.9wkg, and then he’d pass me and i’d have to throw down 3.5-3.7 just to stay near his wheel. normally, i can do about 45 mins with bowie, but this was so exhausting that i was falling out after 20-30 mins.
- in a group ride, the leader passed me doing less wkg than i was, but i had to put out even more just to keep up with him. we were both in the draft.
- there seems to be a “drag” effect towards the rear of the group that you have to overcome just to stay with the group, but it’s also really easy to shoot out of the front of the group
- generally i seem to have to “surge” more often to stay in a pack than i used to.
anyway, just wondering if anyone else sees this or if it’s just me.
i do understand the concept of drafting and momentum, and some of the things i’ve listed could be seen as my avatar losing draft/momentum, but it feels more extreme than that to me.