Can't U-Turn [October 2021] [1.18.0]

Clearly there’s something up with whatever is checking if a U-turn is in progress, as the check (from anecdotes) seems to complete when the world changes.

But hey, hypotheticals aren’t getting me anywhere, so I’m checking out of this conversation at this point.

Hi everyone, we’ve identified the fix for this and it will be in the 19.0 release, which will be in a couple of weeks. We appreciate your continued patience while we get this corrected.

11 Likes

That’s collateral damage. As Zwift have confirmed, if a U-turn is suspended, the speed limit sets in, and turn controls are disabled - this explains the behavior seen by many users. Once you terminate a ride and start a new one, clearly the suspend terminates, and the suspended U-turn then gets performed. Not stellar coding either mind you - whoever coded a reset of the U-turn suspension didn’t realize that this reset may happen at the beginning of a new ride, and thus trigger an out-of-nowhere U-turn.

All this for nothing - the actual initial bug is not that the user performs a U-turn under certain conditions, it’s that performing that U-turn confuses the route completion logic. Fix the route completion logic and leave the U-turns alone…

1 Like

This really sucks. I know y’all did this on purpose to keep people honest on route badges, but you’ve really screwed it up. Today was a horrible ride for 3 hours. Tried to ride the flats w/Cadence and then tried to U turn and of course couldn’t. Then your speed is limited to 24 kph and you have to End ride and get back end. This needs to be fixed quickly as it’s effecting Group rides, Meetups and individual rides.

Patience, my butt. That’s way too long. This really effects the enjoyment of rides very negatively. So you mean we get to do this for another month? That’s not reacting the way you should be on such a huge issue.

I did an interval session (free ride) in London today. I was unable to u turn. I tried on both companion (iPhone) and my Mac. After attempting to u-turn Zwift capped my speed at 24kph regardless of terrain or effort.

I rejoined in Watopia and everything was back to normal. No issues.

Is this a Zwift general London bug or is it pack dynamics related?

I’m on a kickr 5.

@Anel_Radford4765
I split your post from the Pack Dynamics thread. What you ran into is a known bug for U-turns.

I’ve got the same issue. But for me it seems to be related to when I do events/races. After the race I cannot exceed 15 mph and I cannot U turn. If I exit and save my ride and come back in everything is back to normal.

I considered why this bug happened.
They need to rewrite the U-turn movement to create this bug.

“Fixed an issue which allowed Zwifters to do a quick u-turn on a route and get the achievement for the reverse version of their current route.”

Normally,
we think they have rewritten so that they don’t get the achievement badge when we make a U-turn on the route.
But I think they rewrote we can’t make a U-turn on the route.

They stopped only the U-turn movement, not the U-turn trigger.
So we can’t finish the U-turn and get stuck.

1 Like

I can confirm that if one chooses the Jungle Circuit and then manually turn left to the Alpe Du Zwift climb, one can successfully U-Turn after the finishing banner and U-Turn again at the bottom for more ascents.

I just completed 2 ascents of the Alpe Du Zwift 1 hr ago. However, the power-up issue is not working since the inception of Alpe Du Zwift as usual.

I assume this 19.0 will include lot of bug fixes not just u-turn problem. We can be patient, 2-weeks is relativily short time to wait this update. Thanks for info.

Going to upset thousands of more users if you’re going to wait two weeks to release the fix, unbelievable, very poor, this for me alone shows Zwift isn’t User focussed at all.

2 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Ho does bug fixes work?

What odds they just remove the U-turn button entirely :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for this @Roule_Thoune!. It works!!!.

Followed your steps and I was able to climb the AdZ and do many U-Turns!.

As you suggested, I selected the “Jungle Circuit” route and manually navigated to the AdZ. Climbed it and did several U-Turns after the top banner. It works perfect!. :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

The trick is NOT to select “Road to Sky” route as you would be completing the route at the top banner, and would hit the U-Turn bug. When selecting “Jungle Circuit” and manually navigating to the AdZ you don’t complete routes. This way you avoid the U-Turn bug at the AdZ!!!.

Thanks SO MUCH!.

3 Likes

Hey, don’t thank me, Pedro! I read your post #54 (from six days ago), which was the first one in this thread to suggest the route-completion issue being the root of the problem. I was happy to test it out a minimal risk, after all the work done by others.

And that’s why I like these Forums so much. A great bunch of people trying to help each other out towards a common goal.

3 Likes

I’ve been having this u-turn and 24km/h speed limit issue for days when I am following a bot. It is happening on multiple routes (not just AdZ) and it is happening regardless of whether or not a route is finished.

I’m surprised how long this problem has existed (I expected a fix within a couple of days for sure, given it has a pretty significant impact!). Is there any update on when this will be fixed?

1 Like

Yes if you scroll up.

10th November is probably when we can expect the next update which will include the fix according to Zwift in post #158

3 Likes

Yes @Mark_Hawkins2. Unfortunately it happens after any route completion. Not only the AdZ. We paid special attention to the AdZ trying to help people attempting vEveresting.

2 Likes