Bring back the exact watt goals for workouts. Stop the rounding!

About a month ago workouts could not be set to an exact watt goal any more, but only can be set in 5 watt steps.
When working near the range of improvement this is a severe restriction. It is important to be able to increase even in 1 or 2 Watt steps from week to week to motivate oneself and deliver improvements. Even small improvements are a good motivation and do not feel like a large jump implied by the 5 warp steps. I do not really understand any reason why this was done.
There is literally nothing to be gained by this restriction.
Note that before the display/preview of the workout was rounded to 5 watt steps. So instead of fixing the display, the workout themselves were restricted. This does not make any sense to me.
Bring back the exact watt goals for workouts.

I totally agree!! This is a backward step. Why do this? It makes the workouts less accurate.

2 Likes

YES ! Totally agree. Even more impactful when you are a light weight person. I weigh 45k, so my watts are much lower that bigger riders. When trying to increase anaerobic capacity by a few watts I have to jump from 260 to 265, that’s too much! It’s really messed up my training. Come on Zwift, please restore previous functionality.

Why have you made it so workouts can only be done in 5 watts jumps !!! This jump is too much. Even more-so when you are a light weight rider. I weigh 45k, so my watts are much lower that bigger riders. When trying to increase anaerobic capacity by a few watts I have to jump from 260 to 265, that’s too much! It’s really messed up my training. Come on Zwift, please restore previous functionality so targets can by any watt, eg 263.
Ps (I didn’t mind that the work out listing on the left of the screen during the session used to be rounded up/down, as long as actual watts to be produced wasn’t rounded)

This is retrograde! The 5 watt increments are not accurate enough. It is equivalent to an inaccurate FTP.

Why have you made it so workouts can only be done in 5 watts jumps !!! This jump is too much. Even more-so when you are a light weight rider. I weigh 45k, so my watts are much lower that bigger riders. When trying to increase anaerobic capacity by a few watts I have to jump from 260 to 265, that’s too much! It’s really messed up my training. Come on Zwift, please restore previous functionality so targets can by any watt, eg 263.
Ps (I didn’t mind that the work out listing on the left of the screen during the session used to be rounded up/down, as long as actual watts to be produced wasn’t rounded)

One way around this is to use the FTP bias slider.
I do my workouts in ERG mode.
I’ve noticed that when I go up or down, the first push of the button usually doesn’t change the target wattage indicated in the workout, but does actually increase/decrease the resistance.
I record all workouts on my Garmin 530, and I have 3 & 30 second power as data fields.
When I move the FTP slider one spot, my 30 second power will increase/decrease accordingly, and only by a few watts. I’ll notice that the power that Zwift is showing will act accordingly as well.
If I’m targeting 190W, once I settle in ERG will have me ~188w-192w. If I move the bias 1% up, I’ll see ~190w-194w, but the goal will stay at 190w.
Usually, on the second push of the button, the target wattage changes 5w, but the corresponding power output goes up by ~2w-3w
Since you are considered to be at your goal when you are +/- 5w, these small changes don’t affect you getting stars for each workout stage.

Something to remember is that most trainers are accurate to +/- 2%, so hitting exact numbers isn’t realistic.

This is exactly what does not work anymore. The wattage in the workouts changes in 5 Watt steps. The slider manipulates your FTP setting on which the workouts are based. You can change your FTP in single Watts. But, again, the Wattage in the workouts changes in 5 Watt steps.
Take a look at 1) recordings of the workout in Strava or just hover the mouse over the workout: both show 5 Watt jumps.
The behavior you describe was changed about 1.5 month ago and this is the reason why I started this thread.
So your suggestion is not correct (any more).

This is true for absolute accuracy, so differences are present when moving from trainer A to trainer B.
Since I am using always the same, this does not apply. Relative changes between sessions on the same trainer are much smaller.

The +/- accuracy is not the same each time the trainer is used.
I double record, with my pedals going to my Garmin 530 & Kickr paired to my Garmin 935.
I’ll compare both power numbers at the end of each session & delete the 935 data.
Usually the two are very close, but if I haven’t calibrated the pedals or done a spin-down in a week or so they drift apart somewhat. When they do, sometimes the pedals report a higher power, sometimes the Kickr does. So the +/- accuracy is not linear, it varies and can move in wither direction.