Are data overlays like Sauce for Zwift cheating?

Yep that would be the most obvious way although the ZP 0-600 ranking based on the USAC model has quite a few problems when trying to apply to esports like zwift.

I think there are betters way if you want to read more worth keeping an eye here Race Scoring (Ranking) - a new discussion

Ah, that’s what i thought, thanks.

Not sure if this is the right thread but couldn’t find a more suitable.
I installed Sauce for Zwift on a Windows machine, signed up, created 2nd account etc.
I start SfZ and I can see the windows on top of the windows desktop.
I start Zwift but I cannot figure out how to see the SfZ windows in Zwift.
What am I doing wrong? or what do I need to do? Advice?

You can’t be running Zwift in full screen mode, you have to switch to windowed mode. Then look into using something called Borderless gaming to replicate the same full screen effect.

If you want this or need this, please vote in favor of Zwift disclosing a Semi-public API, here:

10 months ago, I published a data gap analyzer for Zwift which I made in one weekend, just to show what I would like to see added to Zwift and what’s possible if Zwift gives permission to the community to use anonymized data.

That’s the way to do it, not the unauthorized way like Sauce 4 Zwift is now tapping off the Zwift data stream. This is destined to result in an abrupt end, just like many other initiatives, e.g. Zwift Activity Monitor. It’s not very encouraging to community developers to spend a lot of time working on Zwift applications, as long as they give zero opportunity to use (anonymized) Zwift data, while at the same time Zwift is profiting from the community initiatives (e.g. race series) which are (whether Zwift HQ knows it or not) being enabled by unauthorized tools using Zwift data.

5 Likes

off course they are, all third party non official Zwift add ons are cheats in my opinion, and Zwift should block them

should they ban having a DS or using your GPS head unit also?

Where would you draw the line?

Never used Sauce or ZAM (no real inclination to do so) but I don’t see any problem if the data is readily available from e.g. your GPS head unit.

I guess the thing I don’t agree with, and it really irks me, is the use of the draft optimaztion monitor incorporated into Sauce. In my mind that’s tantamount to cheating. TTT riders seem to love it though :thinking:

I dont know where the line is.
But as already mentioned, a draft widget for race optimization is not fair. Because it is not available for every platform.

1 Like

Ever tried to do a bike change on Apple TV?

ever raced on and ipad?

you get no distance markers to those riders behind you. Massive pain for anyone doing a TTT or trying to time a sprint finish/breakaway.

There are differences between platforms. while the draft indicator is nice I don’t think it’s made any difference to how I race. Your avatar can still sit up/down showing draft and when you get pushed to the side i assumed and felt like I was getting kicked out the draft all sauce is doing is confirming that.

:rofl: I practiced it once in preparation for a ZRL race but quickly gave up (ATV user).

Needless to say, without the switch to a gravel or MTB I was left grovelling in the dust come race-day :grimacing:

In some ways the draft optimization monitor would equate to real world sensation of the wind in your face vs being in the slipstream, it’s a numerical value to represent something we would be doing intuitively while racing anyways. I don’t want this to be just a simulation of irl biking but it makes sense to have the draft represented in a way other than the sensation we have outside. In that regard I’m not against it at all.
If we had a way to feel when you’re in or out of the draft then I’d lean that way rather than a visual queue.

2 Likes

Fair enough point, hadn’t thought of it that way.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. It’s been interesting to hear people’s views on this. Seems like responses fit into a few categories:

It’s fine because it’s all data that I can see on my bike computer anyways.
That’s not true at all. Your bike computer tells you about your effort, not about the efforts of others or about data calculated by zwift, like your current draft benefit. I race in A and hadn’t really thought about the fact it may help sandbaggers, but that is pretty trivial to do with a bike computer or another app anyways.

It’s fine because I can already get that data through ZwiftPower.
This is closer to true but still not right afaik. The “live” data isn’t really all that live and it’s still only a subset of what is available with Sauce isn’t it? Is there a way to use ZP to see my current draft benefit at this exact moment? Honestly asking, I don’t know.

It’s fine because I can get the same data from a human DS.
This is a good point IMO. Someone using Sauce has similar advantages to someone with a DS who’s observing the race while on discord, especially if the most helpful feature is the visualization of groups on the road. They can tell you about the gaps, who is in the group, how hard they’re working, etc. From that perspective Sauce makes things more fair not less because if you don’t have a DS you don’t have to be totally in the dark. For races with a lot of people the built-in zwift UI makes it difficult to see wtf is going on sometimes.

It’s fine because the game is more fun this way and it may encourage Zwift to implement it themselves.
Fair enough. I agree with the part about it being more fun.

It’s fine unless it’s Grand Prix or some more serious league like ZRL.
This one’s interesting because it acknowledges that it is an advantage and might not always be in the spirit of competition. To me this is proof of why it would be better to have clear rules. ie: make an actual API and officially support it, or don’t.

It’s obviously cheating because it violates TOS and it’s generally an explicit or implicit rule that it’s cheating to violate the TOS for a racing benefit.
I haven’t combed through the terms of service so I don’t know for sure that this is true, but it doesn’t look like sauce uses a public or semi-public API it’s more of a hack that I doubt is authorized, and it does require creating a second account so my best guess would be that it is a TOS violation. However, it seems that the counterpoint to this is generally: ya but who cares. Earlier in the thread a Zwift staff member said that he didn’t see anything wrong with this and then the post was deleted. I think they just don’t care either… for now.

All third party tools that hook into the zwift data stream should be banned to make races more equal.
This would certainly make it more fair across different devices. Counterpoint to this is often “have you tried a bike change on Apple TV?”. IMO bike changes are kinda lame and it would be more interesting if you could not change bikes mid race. Two wrongs don’t make a right. That’s just me though. I think the broader point here is should the race organizer be able to control the terms of the race or not? If this was part of a proper API ecosystem then the race organizer could create a No HUD race and then none of the data would be available on the API and the 3rd party tool would get disabled because it has no data to work from.

Random other observations.
Almost everyone I’ve talked to is in favor of Sauce, but the people that already use it automatically seem defensive, like they know what they’re doing is borderline and they’re struggling to justify it to themselves :rofl:.
Personally, I like it but at the moment I’m not using it because it seems like a lot of faff. Getting all setup and ready to go on my trainer already has too many steps as it is.

2 Likes

league like ZRL.??

ZRL is little League no CE. @Graeme_Hill2674

1 Like

I just meant I’ve noticed people differentiating random races from ones that are serious enough to require weight verification, dual recordings for top finishers, etc. In ZRL WTRL reserves the right to ask for validation when they deem it necessary. In that regard it’s more “serious” than some other community races. The specific leagues aren’t important. The point was just that some people view Sauce as ok or not depending on the seriousness of the race.

FWIW, if an event is setup as No HUD then Sauce will respect that and disable itself.

Exclude that it probably breaks gdpr
Exclude that it breaks zwifts ToS
Exclude that it provides an advantage over the standard view/experience

It does look very good and enhances the experience of the user.

Would a user be allowed to run this in the upcoming uci competition? If the answer is no, why is it different?

1 Like

I have learned a lot about drafting from using Sauce for Zwift:

• Draft is not an on/off thing like Zwift makes you believe
  • You don’t have to be super close to the rider in front to get almost 100% draft benefit, so you can ignore that “close the gap” text. A gap of 2-3 meters is ok.
  • Below 30 km/h draft is pretty non-existent
  • You lose all draft when you are pushed to the left/right edge of a pack. When that happens, either slow down or speed up to get away from the edge.
  • I wish I had steering. You lose some draft when Zwift pushes you to the side (because another rider comes too close from behind) so that you are not straght behind the rider in front. This can happen with just three riders.

It would be nice if Zwift would display the current draft benefit (in actual Watts) on screen…

Now I mainly use Sauce to monitor the speed of the other riders / the group, so I know whether I should push or ease off.