Apple Watch disconnect issue

Another thing I recently noticed: I have had one instance where my Zwift app was not connected, I checked the Companion app on my phone, and I noticed that my Watch’s Companion app seemed like it was trying to activate. I usually run the main Zwift app on my iPad, but sometimes on my Mac; in any case, I usually force quit the iPad app once I’m done. This issue doesn’t present every time I check the Companion app, however.

Anyway, no, the main issue has definitely not been fixed. However, it’s an intermittent thing for me. I wonder if they have even pinned the issue down.

I have found a reliable workaround which was also briefly mentioned by another user.
Start an Apple Workout and immediately end it. This stops Zwift Companion from restarting. Downside is that I get an annoying little workout in my feeds but seems to be slightly preferable to rebooting the watch.

This workaround suggests to me that it might actually be a Zwift issue.

2 Likes

The Can confirm that starting an Apple Watch workout stops the Zwift workout on my watch.

1 Like

I had this problem once, but it turned out that I had two apps open on my phone: the Companion app and the main Zwift app. I kept fiddling with shutting down the companion app, not realizing that three weeks prior I had opened the Zwift app and so it was buried in my list of open apps (when I double clicked the home button, it was like 60 apps back, so I didn’t notice it was there). When I got both closed the watch app stopped restarting.

I’m still having the problem that the HR on the watch only sometimes pairs with the companion app. Zwift should really be embarrassed by how bad the Apple support is, apologize for how long this has been ongoing, and fix it. I am now evaluating Zwift alternatives. If I can find something half as good from a riding experience but more reliable / integrated, I’ll probably jump ship, unfortunately. I have really enjoyed Zwift this winter, but the ten minutes or so I have to spend fiddling with apps to get everything connected every ride is starting to add up.

Also, blaming this on Apple is ridiculous. Zwift team, some of your riders, including me, are professional computer scientists and are not buying it. I have virtually no problems with watch-phone app pairings, except the Zwift app. It’s not Apple’s fault or responsibility to make your stuff work.

2 Likes

I also am having the same issue, along with having a hard time getting consistent HR readings at all. C’mon Zwift!

I have just joined Zwift and sadly this has started happening immediately. Zwift you need to listen and fix the issue

What works for me pretty consistently is to force quit both the watch ZC app and phone ZC app before starting each ride (remove Zwift app from the watch altogether to make sure that is not connecting, it will just interfere). Given a couple of minutes fiddling I always get it to work. Not saying this isn’t as annoying as heck, but it does work eventually.

Adding in another note that this is happening here. Had a lot of trouble getting the Apple watch to work properly. Never did get it connected through the companion APP to the Apple TV. Had to resort to running ZWIFT on my Apple phone and Screen sharing.

Watch kept restarting the Zwift HR monitor. That said, starting and stopping the Apple Workout app on the watch did seem to fix it.

Hello everyone. I have the same problem.
-iPhone Xr - ZC
-Apple Watch Series 5 - heart rate
-Apple TV HD (not the 4K one)
-Wahoo Kickr & Wahoo Cadence Sensor
When I start the Zwift app on my apple TV, my Kickr and cadence sensor connect to the Apple TV immediately. My Apple Watch connects through ZC immediately. Once my ride starts, though, my Apple Watch connects and disconnects throughout the entire ride and many times it simply never reconnects.
I have done the following:

1. Powered off my watch and restarted while still on my ride.
  2. Closed out of the ZC app on my iPhone and my watch.
    This sometimes solves the problem but incredibly frustrating when doing an actual group ride or race. Also, my ZC app continues to “reopen” on my watch over and over when I have no other Zwift apps open. I always completely close out of everything but have to fight this non-stop. ZWIFT NEEDS TO ADDRESS THESE ISSUES - NOT APPLE
2 Likes

OK, so I’ve tried something else that seems to be working better but the problem is still there. When I sign on to Apple TV, I keep ZC completely closed on my phone and the ZC app is also not open on my Apple Watch. Once I am in the game and on my ride, I then open ZC and my watch app opens. Next, I pair my heart rate on the bluetooth menu. It seems to work more than half of the time which is better than before.

I also am having the same issue, along with having a hard time getting consistent connection resp. practically no connection over the ride and then not deconnecting. Of course this sucks the battery …