Apple TV Had Enough

Certainly not saying there’s no potential there - maybe it’s just not been worth it up to now due to the probable low numbers of people using iPad Pros vs Apple TV - but at present there’s no benefit of the A12X over the A10X in Zwift, in terms of resolution, detail or frame rate.

Actually, the functionality of remote sucking is Zwift’s fault. The remote works fine with every other ATV app. The problem is the Zwift app.

2 Likes

An understated quote from MacRumors this week:

Apple unveiled its ‌Siri‌ (or ‌Apple TV‌) Remote with touch surface in 2015 alongside the fourth-generation ‌Apple TV‌, and it’s never been a particularly popular accessory.

and the top comment there:

The Apple TV remote is honestly the worst invention Apple invented. Seriously bad user experience design. Too much overthinking, not enough practicality.

Hey Apple: Buttons were invented for a reason. USE THEM.

Also, the first immediate problem is the lack of any directionality in the ergonomics. You NEVER know if you’re holding it upside down or not, until you actually look at it, because physically, it’s just a flat rectangle.

A good remote should be able to let you know what you’re doing with it without even looking at it.

I’d say both the author’s and the commenter’s observations are fair.

Zwift’s UI with the remote may be problematic. But Zwift also has a poor Apple hardware design to work with. I saw that while Zwift on Apple TV was still in beta.

1 Like

Yes agreed it is Zwift’s fault. The implementation is awful. Also you can drive the ATV with a bluetooth keyboard, but the keyboard is useless in Zwift. Come on Zwift pull your finger out!

1 Like

Here it is, 2021 and Zwift claims to be fixing the Apple iOS and ATV connectivity issues…

2 Likes

just connectivity issues - lets hope the UI gets some help too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Man, I am glad I am not the only one with the remote issues. Just bought a Apple TV 4k today, hooked it up, downloaded zwift and from the first few minutes I realized the remote absolutely sucks on Zwift. Then ATV wouldn’t pick up the sensor on my Kinetic Road Machine until I took out the battery and put it back in. I downloaded the companion app hoping I could control the Zwift menu through that but no dice. Once I got things running in game going in the initial Zwift tour, everything worked great but man… the remote is maddening. This is the first Apple product I have owned since 2009. Looks like things havnt changed since then. When it works its great, but when it doesn’t… putting your wobbly sausage in a meat grinder is more pleasurable.

1 Like

Simple solution 25$ buy an apple remote for the 4th gen Apple TV it also has an IR receiver. So the apple remote works as well.
Then you have your normal circular buttons, As I agree the touch remote sucks in zwift. Specially in the workout section where I had numerous times that my FTP was adjusted…