Apple TV (4th Gen) Zwift App vs iPhone 7 screen share

Hi.

Currently running the app on my iPhone 7 and mirroring via a 3rd Gen Apple TV onto a 1080p 40’ TV. Pretty impressed generally, to be honest!

However, I am considering getting a 2nd hand 4th Gen Apple TV and installing the app.

Has anyone done the same/got views they’d like to share with me?

Is the experience smoother?

Are there any other specifics I should be aware of?

I’m running a Wattbike Atom & Tickr HRM.

NB: Can I also continue using the Zwift Companion App when running the app on Apple TV?

Thanks guys n gals.

I’ve only played with Zwift on my iPad a little and think the Apple TV experience is much better.

The only thing to be aware of is that the Apple TV only has 2 bluetooth low energy connections available (3 total, one already used by the remote). This means you can’t connect a smart trainer + HRM + cadence sensor at the same time. You need to use the companion app to gate the bluetooth connections to Zwift.

Yes.

Thanks for your response, David. Really useful!

Chris

1 Like

So, quick update: I have the Apple TV (4th Gen) now and just tried it out. It’s significantly better than screen sharing the iPhone. Image is much crisper & better resolution. Connected up to my wattbike Atom and HRM instantly and the companion app (running on my iPad) worked just fine.

I’m now all set for the UK winter :wink:

Glad yours is working out. I’ve tried two TVs in my house and they both lose picture when using Zwift and Apple TV. My TV shows a black screen for a couple of seconds before coming back. I’ve gone back to sharing my iPhone screen with my Apple TV as that seems a little better.

Hi. This is so close to an issue I have. Wattbike Atom (so power and cadence) and HRM. I cannot for the life of me get all linked up to work with 4th gen 4 K Apple TV. It does not offer me the option to use Companion app as the Zwift video suggests it will. Would be so grateful if you could share a solution. Many thanks. Paul

@Paul_W-J is the AppleTV and your phone on the same WiFi network? If your network has both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands both need to be on the same frequency band to work.

I’ve switched from AppleTV to a PC but when I was using it after I hit the 2 sensor limit and tried to connect a 3rd a pop-up on AppleTV would come up asking if I’d like to use companion to link that sensor. IIRC the companion app already needed to be running.