Apple TV 4k - can’t connect HR

(Christian Lund ZZRC) #1

Appreciate it’s been discussed numerous times and I thought I understood it, but I can’t get my series 1 Apple Watch to connect via Apple TV 4K. I use a dumb trainer, pairing wahoo speed and cadence via speed sensor within the zwift app on ATV. I then try to connect my HR Apple series 1 watch to app which I appreciate won’t work due to number of Bluetooth connectors. I try using companion app for HR watch but that doesn’t recognise the device either. Would a wahoo HR device be better or should I connect it all up in a different way? What am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated.

(Gleb Chugin #adoptdontshop) #2

Disconnect everything from ATV, then connect everything using companion app. That works the best for me so far.

(Huwelfedus) #3

I always use companion app for connections now as well, works far better.

(Corwin Graves) #4

Can someone explain how to connect devices via the companion app? I’m also running Apple TV4k and an iPhone Xs. I have the toggle set to allow Bluetooth connections, but nothing shows up or seems to connect when I open the companion app prior to opening Zwift on Apple TV.

(Jim) #5

You might consider North Pole Engineering’s “Cable” ant+ to bluetooth converter. It takes multiple Ant+ signals and converts them to a single bluetooth channel. I use it to convert power, cadence and heart rate to a single channel and allow the other channel for controllable which is the trainer. The cable device is a little tricky to set up but not to bad (read the directions) but once that’s done it works really well.

(Corwin Graves) #6

Thanks, Jim. Would really prefer not to spend additional money on something if there is a workable solution here. That said, I’ll do whatever is necessary to get it working.

(Inigo Montoya) #7

I think I am having the same issue with ATV, iPhone Xs Max & Watch series 4. My current workaround is to use iPhone Zwift app and Airplay to ATV. Companion app does not find watch or other devices to share to ATV.

(Corwin Graves) #8

Ok, I seemed to have figured out a solution for my equipment. Here is what worked for me:

1. Turn on Apple TV and close out of Zwift (double tap TV icon on remote and then swipe up to close app)
  2. Open Zwift companion app
  3. Plug in trainer and wait 5-10 seconds
  4. Open Zwift app on Apple TV and sign in. A few seconds later, all devices (trainer, cadence and HR monitor) pair on the pairing screen.

This has worked for me several times in a row, so I think I’m good. Hope it helps.

(Christian Lund ZZRC) #9

Thanks. Will give this a go. Did manage to get HR to connect yesterday by disconnecting power source, connecting HR via companion then going back into power source to connect power/cadence. That didn’t work tonight however. Will try your theory tomorrow. Cheers all