Apple TV 4K App Cutting Edges Off Picture

Hi folks,

I have looked all over the internet for this question. I can see it being asked but I can find no answers to it.

I use the Apple TV 4K for Zwift and it seems to cut off the edges of the picture. The flags are hard to see and it cuts off at least half the stars on the other side when doing a workout. I have a 50” LED 4K telly so it shouldn’t be doing this.

Most of the answers on the net blame it on the Zwift app. It certainly seems to be as all other apps work perfectly. Are they right? Seems this problem has been around since the Apple TV 4K came out.

Works fine for me, including when doing a workout. Upload some pics so we can see what you see or do not see.

I would check/adjust your display settings in the Apple TV, but then you say all other apps display correctly :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ve had the same exact problem with three of my TV’s. I was able to change the aspect ratio on one of the three in a way that I could see all of the information; however, on the last two TV’s after going through “settings/menu,” and finding some version of aspect ratio, I was able to move the picture from right to left so that I could see the percentages in the top right; however, I lost elements on the other side of the TV. Make sense? If you find someone that answers your question please let me know. Seems to me that after three TV’s this might be a zwift problem not an apple TV problem. ZWIFT HELP!

2 Likes

Hi there. It seems to be a common problem with Apple TV 4K version.

Here is what I see on my iPad:

As you can see in both a normal ride and a workout everything is perfect.

Here is the side of my screen on the television through my Apple 4K:

It’s not the worst thing on earth but it’s a bit of a pain.

From reading on the net it is a Zwift problem. You used to be able to change your telly picture but in the main most modern tellys you can’t. It would be nice is Zwift would confirm either way if it is their problem but this seems to have been going on for years and they are ignoring it.

Hi Damon,

You are bang on. It appears to have been going on for years with no solution. From my reading elsewhere people have been able to play around with their tv settings in the past (aspect ratios etc) and have cobbled together a solution. The problem with that is they had to change it every time for Zwift as that affected other things which they had to change the ratios back for. More modern TVs like the one I have just bought apparently don’t have the settings to change as much (as you shouldn’t need to).

It’s not the biggest problem in the world but it is annoying. The consensus from people far more tech savvy than me appears to be that it is a Zwift app problem but this has never been confirmed or denied by Zwift ( although I can not confirm if it has been mentioned by Zwift or not). What pisses me off the most was my previous tv did the same but it was an older one and I thought it wasn’t properly compatible with the newer Apple TV 4K. I bought a brand new TV, a 50” 4K LED thinking that it would be brilliant. It’s not. Same problem.

Don’t know if it’s worth me dropping support a line although they’ll be immersed in their TDF stuff right now.

UPDATE: I went ahead and contacted support so I’ll let you know what they say if they reply.

UPDATE 2: Zwift support got back to me within an hour ( big kudos for that) and here is what they say:

“ Thanks for reaching out to us here at Zwift! I’m sorry you have a problem with your image on your Apple TV. I will be happy to help.

There are two ways to adjust screen ratio. The first will be through your tv, by going into your menu and adjusting, either the resolution or screen ratio . The second will be through your Apple TV​.
Apple TV’s Settings menu enables you to choose the best screen resolution and refresh rate for your television, although this method requires some trial and error.

Your Apple TV has an Auto setting that dynamically adjusts resolution as you stream content. If this setting doesn’t work well enough, you can cycle through the other resolution settings using the Apple Remote during playback.

I hope this has been able to fix the screen ratio issue, please get back to me with any other concerns and issues!”

I’ll give it a shot and get back with the results.

Definitely something wrong there!

I forget if you can adjust any settings related to the display in the Zwift app on Apple TV. I haven’t looked in settings in quite a while. I guess I’ll have a look tonight when I get home.

You can look at Apple TV display settings and see if changing anything there helps. I would manually select different display formats and check the outcomes.

Also, there are the TV’s display settings which could be set to auto and/or require manual adjustment.

Another item to check is your HDMI cable. IIRC there is a cable test option in the Apple TV Settings > Video

Related to HDMI is the port on your TV. For example, my TV has 4 or 5 HDMI ports, but not all ports support 4K or HDR.

I played with my settings on both my TV (Sony 4K HDR) and Apple TV 4K to get things working nicely. One, I found that HDR was actually harder on my eyes. I also found out that not all my HDMI ports supported HDR or 4K (see above).

Yes, it can be confusing. One would think it should auto-magically work w/these fancy “smart” TVs that get firmware updates (totally scary stuff by the way. waiting for one these updates to brick my TV :sob:)

Brilliant. I will give it a go later. My daughter is in the pain cave at the moment doing her workout. :joy::joy: Lockdown has been good for something. We’ve never been fitter as a family.

Zwift support also got back to me in under an hour. They said:

“ Thanks for reaching out to us here at Zwift! I’m sorry you have a problem with your image on your Apple TV. I will be happy to help.

There are two ways to adjust screen ratio. The first will be through your tv, by going into your menu and adjusting, either the resolution or screen ratio . The second will be through your Apple TV​.
Apple TV’s Settings menu enables you to choose the best screen resolution and refresh rate for your television, although this method requires some trial and error.

Your Apple TV has an Auto setting that dynamically adjusts resolution as you stream content. If this setting doesn’t work well enough, you can cycle through the other resolution settings using the Apple Remote during playback.

I hope this has been able to fix the screen ratio issue, please get back to me with any other concerns and issues!”

I’ll give it all a go and get back to you.

Thanks a million for getting involved. You comments are much appreciated.

Thank you for the reply.
Pls keep me in the loop.

Ride on. Ride on.

2 Likes

Right first thing I did was investigate the Apple TV 4 K settings.

Settings > Video and Audio > Zoom and Overscan (further down the menu under Calibration heading)

This gives you thus screen:

You can see at the bottom right it confirms that the screen is being cut:

The writing on the screen says to “ adjust your TV’s zoom or overscan settings”:

I cannot find mine so I’ve had to write to the manufacturer and will get back when I know more. I’m convinced now it’s the telly and not Apple or Zwift.

2 Likes

@Steve_Dickson59: Thanks for this information! I have only been missing a small portion of the edges of the screen while Zwifting (which I never actually noted until I started doing some Meetups recently and the ‘Quit Meetup’ button was only half visible at the bottom of the screen). When I went to the ATV settings screen with the big circle I noted that the ‘Full Screen’ wording was partially blocked (I could see a bit more than what you show in your photo). I then went to the overscan setting on the TV, which was set to ‘On’ and saw a notice at the bottom that indicated to change to ‘Off’ if using the TV as a computer monitor. Changing the setting to ‘Off’ brought the ‘Full Screen’ wording into full view. So, I guess now I’ll be able to see a few extra millimeters of the Zwift worlds! :rofl:

I appreciate the insight on this!

I’m glad it’s been of some use to you. :joy::joy:

I’ve tried every setting it has and I’m no nearer a solution. Driving me nuts.

What’s the exact model of your TV?

It’s a Toshiba 50U2963DB Dave. Managed to get a user manual online but it wasn’t that much help.

If your TV doesn’t have easily-accessible controls for adjust the picture size, then it must have some sort of techie/engineer’s mode that is accessible via a button combination on the remote. Maybe you can find the answer in some forums frequented by home cinema/AV geek? Hope you can sort it.

You’re not alone: https://amp.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/hekfs8/screen_cut_off_on_certain_games/

Assuming you’ve already tried playing with the aspect ratio toggle on the remote?

Ah. Good shout. That may well be the way forward.

I’ll give it a look. :tumbler_glass:

Nice to see I’m not alone. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

I don’t have that on my remote. It’s a pretty plain remote. The TV only cost £260 new the other day. It is a 50” 4k HD but I can now see why the price is so low. I would never buy Toshiba again. Very “plasticky” and not of particularity great quality. I can see the major differences between it and my 65” LG 4k OLED. Difference also was about £2k in price right enough. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

To be fair I wasn’t wanting to pay a lot as it was just for the pain cave so you get what you pay for. Just a bit frustrating not seeing the outside inches on the screen. I can live with it but I’d rather sort it. The most annoying thing reading up about it all is that Overscan is an totally outdated technology originally created for old cathode ray tubes. The manufacturers keep using it for stupid reasons. :rage::rage::rage:

Do you not have Settings->Picture Settings->Advanced Settings->Picture Zoom and/or Picture Shift?

You should be able to change the Picture Zoom and find one that works.

Yeah. Went through all of those settings last night and none of them made a difference.

Just spent 1 hr 4 mins on hold to Currys Technical support to be answered by someone sounding like he was in a submarine. Told him I could hardly hear him and that it kept dropping in and out. He explained he was at home and that it was through the Internet. He took 11 minutes looking up the television and couldn’t even tell me what buttons there was on the remote. He didn’t even know what menu items I was to look for. He was guessing. The line then started to get bad again and it dropped. :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage: