AMD RX5500XT in basic profile?

I have a PC with a RX 5500 XT 4GB graphics card and by default Zwift starts with basic/576p profile. I know this is not a high-end card but this seems excessive? Especially since it seems to do a steady 150fps. I switched the resolution to 1080p and it still does ~90fps, but is stuck in “basic”.

The log says "GFX: Found a vendor/model match for ". This is the full line, it doesn’t say what it has matched.

I don’t believe this should matter, but the CPU is a Ryzen 3900X and I have 32GB RAM.

They add profiles for graphics cards manually, you need to ask them to add yours to the lookup. The game isn’t detecting your card at all, hence you’re getting the crappy Basic profile. It’s definitely capable of Ultra profile at up to 4K resolution.

Spoiler: it took nearly a year after launch for them to add the GTX 1650, and that was with a number of us nagging on here consistently.

Considering the top GPU to get High profile is the GTX 750 Ti which came out in Feb 2014, I’m not sure why they can’t do it in reverse at this point and give new/unrecognised GPUs Ultra by default. Nobody’s making anything less powerful, aside from some mobile GPUs that could be added by exception if people complain about exceptionally poor performance.

3 Likes

Any news on this?

I have since replaced the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Zwift\data\configs\basic.txt with this:

res 1920x1080(0x)
sres 2024x2024
aniso 4
set gSSAO=1
set gFXAA=1
set gSimpleReflections=0
set gSunRays=1
set gHeadlight=1
set gFoliagePercent=2
set gLODBias=0

I am not sure if this is quite the same as the ultra profile, but it looks quite a bit nicer than before. The frame rate is totally fine too.

3 Likes

Not the same thing, but at least you’re getting something better than Basic. Zwift are rubbish at this sort of thing. They added the M1 devices in a matter of weeks, when the 5500 XT is over a year old.

2 Likes

This is really showing how much Zwift is behind and how much they care { NOT }.

Where can one see the list of cards that can achieve the High profile in 1080p ? Thanks !

There aren’t all that many which get High profile, mostly older and lower tier cards. And the Apple M1 devices, heh. Have a look on the historical Zwiftalizer benchmarks for an indication, though some cards have been logged with multiple profiles due to Zwift updating them down the line, as explained above.

With the april update the RX5500 xt should/could become the high or ultra profile.
Could you confirm this @Dominik_Schubert ?
My RX5600xt becomes the ultra-profile since april, before was high-profile.

meanwhile i would be happy to get the stable running high-profile back :unamused:

It shows how out of touch they are with good UX.
Why hard code all this stuff , recommend yes , hard code NO !

At least as Domink has shared there are text files to sort this out , albeit undocumented.

Doesn’t truly sort it out though, unfortunately. Much of what you actually see is dependent on the profile the game sets, that can’t be overridden. Plus editing the config files can introduce instability, as seen after France was launched.