2022 UCI Continental Qualifiers FAQs

Race 1 is on Roule Ma Poule. Length has not been announced yet.

1 Like

The email says we don’t have to do anything more than fill out the form showing our interest in the event, if we already have valid pre-verification

When will people be informed if they have passed eligibility requirements for the races and when will full race details be published please?

1 Like

I believe Jonny and Sean are going through the full list today and yesterday.

3 Likes

@James_Zwift may I ask, via reply to this forum, a question about the number of racers promoted to the next race, extending the discussion to all continental divisions and both genders? This is indirectly tied to total qualification spots available. I worded it this way so as to potentially avoid disclosing sensitive information from the Men’s Americas race guide. The question does reveal numerical specifics.

As aside, the race guide indicates dual recordings must be submitted no later than 2 hours upon race conclusion. Zwift GP race guides enforce 1 hour post-race, to my knowledge? This is subject to change or is confirmed as 2 hour window?

Warm regards.

Hi Daniel, I’ll ask Jonny to pop in here on Monday and give you an answer to your questions - I have very little (read as none) involvement in the elite setup.

[quote=“Daniel Jamrozik [+R], post:26, topic:591151, username:Daniel_Jamrozik”]
a question about the number of racers promoted to the next race, extending the discussion to all continental divisions and both genders?
[/quote]

I’m confused about this too. I think they’ve tried to make it the same for men and women on a continent but that means the men and women actually end up with very different races as the starting numbers will be very different. We currently have equality for the genders rather than equity. (Equity used for the relative number of spots and riders through each round when comparing continents though)

Sounds good James! Inquiry follows:

The racers do not yet know how many are projected on the start list; however, there are currently 6 qualifying spots slated for Men’s Americas.

Ignoring the two 1st placed racers during races 1 and 2, the promotion scheme for # of racers advancing to next round are:

1. Race one = 2nd through 16th
  2. Race two = 2nd through 9th. Bottom 43.75% are eliminated.
  3. Race three = 4 qualifying spots for 8 racers. 50% likelihood.

What are unknown of (1) and (2) are the % of proportioned racers advancing. Do these percentage distributions carry over equally among all continental divisions AND genders? Especially of race 1. Further, you can analyze the %odds to qualify, with respect to start field size (for Men):

1. Americas = 6 / XX. XX = start field size. % unknown
  2. Europe & Africa = 14 / YY. YY = start field size. % unknown.
  3. Asia & Oceania = 5 / ZZ. ZZ = start field size. % unknown.

As a successor to this topic, Alice brings up the mismatch of equity between conti regions, as well as between the genders. Is this a stipulation passed down from the National Federations?

Hopefully introducing numerical values here clarifies what I inquire of.

Thank you everyone for your comments above. As outlined in the race book the number of places allocated includes considerations about the number of nations in scope, the current talent pool in each region and the number of actual riders that are eligible to take place in the races in each region, as well as the requirement to maintain access for all regions of the world for a global UCI World Championships with a unique open pathway into a World Championships in cycling.

Due to the 3 race format, this does mean each race will be a little different according to the expected number of starters. A detailed process has been undertaken by the UCI and Zwift to structure these races in the most consistent way possible given all the possible permutations of numbers of riders who actually start on the day. To explicitly answer Alice L’s question, all races, regardless of gender or region have been structured using exactly the same process. The allocation of riders per region is now final and has been agreed with the UCI using the following principles (applied in the following priority order):

1. In Race 1 & 2, one qualification place is available to each winner, with all remaining qualification places available during Race 3.
  2. Where the numbers of entrants allow, in Race 3 50% of the field will be able to qualify by winning a sprint.
  3. Where the numbers of entrants allow, in Race 2 50% of the field will be able to move on to Race 3.
  4. In Race 1, the number of riders who move on to Race 2 is defined by fulfilling points 1, 2 & 3 above.

These principles have been devised to ensure that there is something on the line in each race, with the gradual tightening of the field and qualification opportunities back-ended to replicate the challenges riders will face in the UCI World Championships themselves. We strongly encourage all riders to think through the structure of their specific races, to help inform their own strategy for qualifying.

Good luck with your preparations ahead of an exciting weekend of racing!

1 Like