Zwift Video Screenshots (Apple release) [February 2023]

Is it in the Photos app?

1 Like

Honestly, I’ve no idea. I know nothing about Apple stuff, the Apple ecosystem, or even how to get to the Photos app on the Apple TV.

But Zwift said it was uploading it, so I expected to see it with the activity and Strava.

I thought it might be on iCloud, but there’s nothing there. I’ll go and poke around on the ATV.

Edit: OK, I needed to sign in yet again on the ATV (that’s a PITA without a BT keyboard), and now the iCloud stuff is syncing.

Bit of an annoyance downloading it on my PC then uploading to Google Drive so I can download it to my phone.

I still expected the direct upload to work though.

I have a MacbookPro (Ventura 13.2.1), with the most current version of Zwift but I still don’t have to option for Video Screenshots. Is it not fully rolled out to Mac users yet? I’m looking forward to getting it, looks like a great new feature.

I appreciate different platforms work in completely different ways and a feature can’t just be dragged and dropped. But way to alienate non-Apple users by de-prioritising for new features.

Any idea on windows rollout date?

I’m happy to let the Apple users beta test it for us and get it when it’s bug free

2 Likes

True. The old, ‘let’s get free testing from our customers’.

However, it’s software so it will never be bug free. Bullet needs bitten at some point.

Is there any information on devices that will definitely not get the new feature other than the iOS version; it was mentioned about other factors may affect the availability?

I have an older iPad (6th Generation) with 32GB capacity and currently on iOS 16.3.1.

On my iPad I had this feature and used it with Strava. It then went away. I’ve rebooted the iPad, uninstalled and then reinstalled the app on the iPad, and verified I have adequate storage left on my iPad. I checked my settings and do not have an option to enable the feature.

I know you are rolling it out slowly to users, are you also disabling it after you’ve rolled it out? Any idea why the video screen capture would not be available to me now?

I am running a 2020 MacBook Air currently running MacOS 13.2.1 (1.1GHz i3; 8GB RAM; 20GB available drive space) and do not show the video screenshot option. However, I do have the option on my iPhone 11. Is the nature of the rollout such that this would be the case or is my MacBook not “powerful” enough to support the video screenshot feature?

That’s perfectly normal. Both devices may get it eventually.

you must be new here

TBH it’s a “feature” for which I see no possible use so if it never arrives I don’t really care :slight_smile:

Any ETA of when the video screenshot will be rolled out to TvOS (Apple TV 4k devices)? Thanks in advance

Of all the auto videos that have been captured by my rides so far, the only ones that were useful were the ones at the end of a race where there was a sprint ending with other people. I suck at sprinting so it was nice to go back to the video and see how much w/kg the others were pushing (though in a sprint on flat watts would be more interesting), and when etc. actually for me I’d just shut off all the other auto-video scenarios and extend the end of race video to 30s or so.

2 Likes

It’s also useful for reporting bugs. You see the bug and you have 15 seconds to hit the video snapshot button, which is enough. Often a screenshot would be too late.

2 Likes

True, the retroactive aspect is nice, I guess if I saw the yeti I would try to take an auto vid maybe? Might miss it with a screenshot.

Hi folks! Apologies for the delay - I recently relocated my family to a new state and am still catching up on everything after the move. I’ll start responding back to any open questions now.

2 Likes

@Moby_Parkes Thanks for reporting this - would you mind DMing me a photo (or similar) of what this looks like? I’d like to make sure I understand what you’re seeing at the end of your ride.

Hi @Wanda_Fehr - We haven’t rolled out Video Screenshots for Apple TV yet (although occasionally we’ve temporarily opened it up for a few folks). We’re wrapping up integration with the Companion app (so you can take video screenshots from within Companion) and are planning to launch Apple TV support at the same time as the Companion integration goes live. This will be in an upcoming release and I’ll post back here when it’s available.

@Daren Thanks for reporting this - if you saw the video capture in your Photos app (it sounds like you did), then the video may have failed to upload to Strava behind-the-scenes. We have a few improvements to upload reliability that are going to be coming out in an upcoming release that will improve this.

@AlexM370 We’re roughly targeting rolling this out in the next 1-2 months alongside integration with the Companion app, and some folks may see it earlier than that as we gradually roll it out.

2 Likes

@Andrew_Storey @Gayk_Gevorkyan We haven’t yet rolled it out to all Macs - right now it should be available to most folks on M1+ chips but we’re still doing a small gradual rollout for models earlier than that. The performance of this feature is super important to us (i.e. not negatively affecting the game experience) so we’re closely monitoring how it performs across devices and as we roll out additional optimizations in upcoming versions we’ll continue to broaden the number of included devices. Thanks for your patience!

1 Like