Zwift teasing Tokyo expansion with "Olympic" rings?

Hmmm…this is in the latest Companion update…

5 Likes

Way to spill the beans! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve raced R2R three times and the slowest overall time was when I switched bikes, and I didn’t put enough time into the non-switchers to be ahead when I changed back, because they were riding together whilst I was doing a solo TT effort… all the way back to Downtown Watopia!

Sorry, I was unable to resist the temptation. I’m weak…

3 Likes

I added a spoiler tag, at least

2 Likes

I don’t know. A bike switch should take <15 seconds and any MTB is about 60 seconds faster than a Tron around the Jungle Circuit so you should have come out at least 30 seconds ahead. The best thing about using the MTB in the jungle is you don’t have to kill yourself to be a little faster than guys on road bikes so when you come out you’re fresher. I’ve always come out ahead with a bike change on R2R.

4 Likes

It’s terrible. I don’t enjoy browsing through a garage filled with 50 bike frames and 50 wheelsets trying to quickly swap to something more suitable for the dirt.

Honestly kind of disappointed with that. I was hoping it would be bigger than that. There don’t seem to be any climbs… Maybe that is just part of the map? Or a really zoomed out version I hope.

So there isn’t even the Fuji Speedway on the map?
I got all hyped for not much tbh…

There’s tons of road there, and at least five distinct zones with at least one decent climb. Looks good IMO.

3 Likes

I think it’s worth waiting and seeing as sometimes it’s hard to ascertain the terrain from the map. Just look at Innsbruck and it’s not immediately obvious that the climb is a climb from the map.

I think judging from the map the southern could be a climb up to a waterfall as there are some minor switchbacks and a little tunnel as well. I also think the area to the north has the possibility to be a climb a la Innsbruck that is not immediately clear from the map.

Btw how did you find the map?

Would a speedway be all that interesting to cycle on though? It would feel at a whole different scale on an indoor trainer simulating 30-40km/h as opposed to a racing car at 200km/h - especially without any braking

1 Like

I love car racing, and have cycled multiple times on the Circuit Paul Ricard, and will again this summer for the cycling event.

Yes I do want the speedway in game

1 Like

Yeah, looks like there will be some dirt roads or maybe some mountain bike trails based off the map and the teasers that they have released so far.

1 Like

One nice thing about that map is that there look to be around 16 junctions (not including start pens).

Assuming most - if not all - of them allow turns in any direction, that’s a lot of possible route permutations, including some very small loops. Of course, making loads of manual turns isn’t optimal, so can we have the Route Planner now? :smiley:

1 Like

Lots of junctions and TWO sets of start pens - maybe the scale of this map is a lot bigger than we think?

2 Likes

Yeah, by the looks I thought it was not that big but when I compared it to france and I saw the 2 pens I realized that this is probably bigger than france.

This would fit with a comment Eric (IIRC) made on a recent podcast or somewhere. He spoke of something that was in the works that had the potential to be bigger than Watopia, I believe.

Of course, I’ve lost the reference and can’t find it from a quick Google. But I’m sure I heard or saw him say something along those lines.

1 Like