Zwift teasing Tokyo expansion with "Olympic" rings?

fingers crossed for some MTB trails. :crossed_fingers: :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

If it is going to be gravel heavy id rather it was all gravel - Pick a gravel bike and go, rather than the issue of road bikes on gravel etc…

The Jungle seems to be very sparsely used, I hope they dont think this is a reason to provide more off road tracks - But mixing gravel / road doesnt work as the change in surface impacts races/rides to much.

1 Like

Have you ever tried racing Road To Ruins with two bike changes? It’s quite exciting and dynamic, because whether it’s a good tactic or not will depend on how you are going when you get to the windmill, and whether there are large/strong groups around you. Of course, once you’ve changed to the MTB, you absolutely fly past people!

1 Like

Why the ■■■■ should you need to change a bike mid event :wink: - Plenty of people either cant reach their laptops or use Apple TV where the remote control is a shambles…

Mixed surfaces hasnt worked, hence so little races/rides on the gravel part of the worlds. Either fully commit to it or dont, half arsing it has shown not to be a crowd pleaser based on the numbers I can see…

3 Likes

Eric’s been talking about going East for a while, and with the Olympics being postponed due to the pandemic, it’s reasonable to assume that the Japan world was ready a year ago and mothballed until now. Perhaps it’s even been expanded given all the extra time?

Mr. Min is currently online, maybe it will be his usual preview ride?

2 Likes

New map is pretty big! :wink: Seems to be about the same size as France.

Maybe a little smaller overall, but lots more roads and features packed in.

1 Like

Hope there will be MTB tracks. If it’s related to Tokyo Olympics, it may include both competition the road one on one side, and the MTB on the other side. Can’t wait to see…

1 Like

I see this as a necessary workaround to get the best possible placing, but it’s a PITA to do and I don’t like the way I feel like I need to do it if I want to remain competitive. (OK, relatively competitive, all other things being equal).

I guess you could argue it’s “like a duathlon” where the bike changes are transitions, but it’s a bit of a stretch.

I’m happy enough to ride in the jungle and on gravel; but I’d prefer routes that are entirely off-road, or only have shortish sections of one or the other.

1 Like

You cant tease like that… spill the beans :0

Edit - Quoted the wrong person

Spoiler alert.

The map is in the Companion app update.

I presume there is a climb in Yumezi Japan?

But it impact everybody equally. I don’t see the issue. If someone start on a MTB they will be slow on the pavement and fast on the gravel and on the road bike it will be opposite.

I guess so…

1 Like

A night time crit course with perpetual rain and neon lights.

A zwift - bladerunner mash-up

7 Likes

Keep your eyes peeled. :eyes:

1 Like

Ancient Land isn’t Japan, it would be more likely to be like Egypt…

Maybe it’s a whole new Watopia including the Japan and maybe we will finally get famous Flanders roads

Can you see this?

That would be telling. :wink:

Hacker! :wink:

1 Like