Zwift teasing Tokyo expansion with "Olympic" rings?

What’s nice in my garage is the Tron bike is next to the Zwift MTB.

1 Like

It’s the same for me as well. Makes it easy switching between Tron and MTB bikes.

Open this: https://www.zwift.com/Yumezi

Different on mobile, and shows an angle from the big tree bottom left of the map.

4 Likes

Looks lush

Oh man - second this.

Gravel roads literally give me a headache. That ‘random bounce’ is awful and it’ll ruin this new world.

https://forums.zwift.com/t/jungle-visuals-bounce-off-road-effect-not-good/536985/3

It’s not just the speed difference. That random bouncing gravel effect makes me feel sick - it’s literally visually distressing and I’m not the sort of person that gets stressed by much.

I avoid the Jungle like the plague, I’d love to ride it but the random bouncing effect is like riding a demented pogo-stick and makes me feel ill. Also looks nothing like real riding. If actual gravel riding made your eyes bounce around like that effect people wouldn’t do it!

1 Like

Looks good so far! Hopefully it will be released tomorrow!

While the map appears to show a lot of new tarmac (and gravel), what I am not seeing is any sort of road pattern that mimics any part of the Tokyo Olympics RR course. Am I missing something? Does anyone else see some set of roads like looks like the Olympics course?

Of course, that map appears to have a lot of unfilled space, so perhaps there is even more coming up.

1 Like

I don’t think it is supposed to be the Olympics course, because they described it as an ancient world so maybe they are making it more unrealistic and combining a lot of different parts of Japan rather than just focusing on the course? Not sure but it does seem odd that they wouldn’t add the actual course while they were at it. The world Yumezi does not seem to be a real place, neither do the Makuri Islands… They will likely release tomorrow so we will probably get more information then.

1 Like

Let’s hope it’s not like when they released France and you couldn’t actually ride it for a while unless you hacked it!

3 Likes

There is no Japanese word for Yumeji.
However, if 夢路(Yumeji) was coined, it would mean the path of dreams.
If Watopia is a portmanteau of Utopia, then I guess it means something similar.

And the meaning of makuri is no idea.

4 Likes

https://www.zwift.com/yumezi

Another small preview :open_mouth: Looks really awesome!

1 Like

There is an island south of Tokyo called Mikura island. Mikura-jima - Wikipedia

Maybe this isn’t part of the olympic map and then the olympic course comes as an expansion?

1 Like

If you type dreamland into jisho.org the first word that pops up is 夢路. Sounds like someone at Zwift did just that. Typed in dreamland and took the first thing as the translation.

There is a website called yumeji dot co. I won’t give the full link in case this forum pops up a preview. Let’s just say you shouldn’t use your work computer to visit that site but if you want to order some nice pillows please visit it in the privacy of your own home.

Makuri is a term used in keirin racing. Copied from a Cyclingnews article:

These are the names of three positions and they are the foundation of every Japanese Keirin.

Senko (Lead out man), must attack 800m - 400m before the finish.

Makuri (2nd sometimes also 3rd wheel), must not attack any earlier than about 300m before the finish.

Oikomi (3rd sometimes also 4th wheel), must not attack any earlier than about 150m before the finish.

One final note, I hope Zwift has remembered that in Japan you drive on the left hand side of the road.

6 Likes

The way this is named suggests that “Makuri Islands” is the larger land mass, and Yumezi is the first area to release there. See also “Fuego Flats”, “Road to Ruins”, “Titan’s Grove”.

This fits nicely with Eric Min’s hint about a world that could be as large or larger than Watopia

9 Likes

Min is riding the new world right now

7 Likes

Min hax!!!

I guess it’s safe to go for a Zwift ride now then. Probably tomorrow at least before this will be available for us norms, but if Eric is openly riding it it has to be imminent, surely.

3 Likes

Interesting that you can see this, I got the notification he is riding but nothing in my ‘following’ section

Saw the same. Updated the companion app?

Me too, I went to the “zwifting now” section and that is where he was. I assumed he was somehow riding incognito, trying to remain hidden.

His ride appears to be done, but is not listed as an activity… private I guess… nothing on his Strava feed also…

no, I’m not a stalker, why would you ask? :rofl:

5 Likes