Zwift Rowing in Weeks? Eric Min

Zwift generally only does one update per month, at the end of the month, and since we got one in August already for the France maps I’m wondering if we won’t see another one until the end of September?

Seems more likely to me that it’s in alpha right now, and the upcoming (?) release will be in a beta state.

I would love to see it. But I have been conditioned to not believe anything Zwift says about timelines etc.
But rowing could be something that is “done” but dependent on the redesigned UI or something else that isn’t released yet. If they were to fix the dumpster fire that is the Zwift UI and release rowing it would do a lot to calm a restless user community.

4 Likes

Didn’t the rowing crew get laid off during COVID?

No idea but even so, why then did @Eric announce that rowing was coming a few weeks at the start of the July?

Doesn’t look like it will be any time soon. As even though @Eric said it was a few weeks away, they still don’t have a confirmed release date.

Redirecting...]-R&c[0]=AT3fH1fVnNHrwo8ix5bhnav2HWSHzDngJI3_3by-vcsSL9vvEFbUaJ3z0Nhq1DuQNEYrM5cmAnppjgqO-sAOxHhQW5f0vatl9kvlIEueYAq1MHXVD3Xb-Hkpw8TjHsv8Eo_Xj4gJ37IBR7aIEAKj1JODLdka1IqJSdlL2wUh3tlwx_6uNCERV9sTl1Vt1hYPbdetMYnGPUBthu2x

I’ve never used Zwift before but they already annoy me. I was really excited a few weeks ago when we were told ‘a few weeks’. In that time I’ve done some reading and come to learn that nothing Zwift say can be relied on! Not a great impression for a prospective user

4 Likes

I took this from the Zwift Rowers Facebook group. This doesn’t mean it isn’t almost ready but is t exactly reassuring.

Coming 2030 after they’ve given all of their money to the UCI and IOC.

CCE4CB47-707C-4B3A-83F0-F32305A23E28

4 Likes

Zwift has never learned the fundamental of under promise over deliver to make people happy. If Eric had just said, we are planning on adding rowing some time in the not too distant future and it’s under development but no date is set, people would speculate what that meant but a few weeks, 2 months, or even 5-6 months would have been in line. A few weeks is pretty hard to interpret any way but 2-5 weeks and we’re past that.

This is made worse by no one else acknowledging what he said and offering any response to their customers. I would accept we had the base software done and were in testing and when Eric made that comment/ We expected it to be released in the next release but during extensive testing that is part of quality assurance we found a problem that has forced us to delay the release. They could even say the time to fix the issues aren’t known yet so it may be another couple of months to give them some time to ensure it’s ready and not disappoint people again. Instead, we get zero acknowledgement or explanation from Zwift.

I’m hopeful, but skeptical, it will be part of the end of Aug/early September release. Only time will tell.

3 Likes

Maybe he meant 52 weeks…or maybe 104 weeks…!

2 Likes

Come on Zwift stop treating your customers like idiots.

Scratch that I’m no longer a customer. I cancelled my subscription because you keep promising features that I’m looking forward to and then not delivering.

3 Likes

Some beta / futureworks of rowing would be amazing to see how it works.

Come on Zwift. Think of all the Concept2 owners who aren’t subscribers you are missing out on!

2 Likes

An update from John Mayfield on Facebook

“ I don’t think I saw Eric say “two weeks” (I probably missed it) but I can say that we’re all excited here at Zwift about rowing and maybe he just got ahead of himself during an interview.

Currently it’s really just me working on rowing and while the software itself may be nearly ready for a public beta release we’re hesitant to take on that challenge right this second. We just have too many other things we need to support/follow up with Zwift cycling/running/etc. No secret we have lots of things to improve. In addition other departments like customer service will be overwhelmed with the fall rush, marketing focused on cycling, etc. To add rowers using beta software ontop of that maybe isn’t the best choice.

I can’t say a date because there is no date at this moment. The money just raised will help, but hiring people takes a loooong time, so I wouldn’t expect any immediate changes here.”

1 Like

It’s disappointing (a) that the Zwift CEO is out of sync with his key staff working on this initiative, and (b) that no one on the Zwift forum team passed along to Jon the fact that Eric said this 10+ weeks ago. The quote and the recording are cited several times in this and other threads: “rowing is coming out in a few weeks.” [55:28 of Stream PYSO, ep. 60: Zwift CEO Eric Min on tradition and innovation by VeloNews | Listen online for free on SoundCloud]. Wouldn’t it be worthwhile to pass along that news to the person who is developing the rowing feature?

4 Likes

Some further info from Jon

“ Back when Eric made his comment it was actually meant to be released soonish, but those plans were not yet finalized and changed soon after.

Just wanted to clarify so we don’t have months of memes (actually, we’ll probably still have months of memes won’t we? :slight_smile: ). ”

Pathetic. The first time Eric Min said “we’re looking at about “Christmas 2019””.

Zwift as a company is done for me. Zero communication skills. One is talking about “coming in weeks” and another one is saying “we dont have a date”.

To every rower out there: Just buy RowPro, I know it looks ugly, but well if there are enough people online, we can always row together. Forget about Zwift Rowing, it will never come out.

This is a huge bummer as I just ordered a Concept2 a few days ago assuming the release of rowing was imminent (even after doing the standard Zwift translation of a “few weeks” to a “few months”). I hope something (even a public beta) is available before the end of the year …

You aren’t on your own unfortunately Paul. Lot of unhappy Zwifters around, not just for the rowing.

1 Like

I’m on the waiting list to order a concept2. My number should come up on November 2. I’m ok waiting for zwift. But would like to know that zwift will for sure support the concept2.