Zwift Hub trainer with Boost 141 mm QR Trek

good morning everyone,

I have just received a zwift hub trainer, I have a trek x-caliber 9 (mtb) bike with 141 QR boost, is there any adapter that will allow the mounting of the bike to the trainer ?
thank you in advance for the hint.

Hi @Dariusz_Konopka welcome to Zwift forums.

Shuji at Zwift HQ here. The short, safe answer is that Zwift Hub does not support Boost 141 QR frames. If you would like to return the trainer, you may contact my colleagues to arrange for a product return. In your case - I see you’ve already contacted us via email.

Trek’s Boost 141 QR specification is an odd duck in the bike industry. It’s one of the Boost variants Trek invented around ~2014 and still use on their middle price point mountain bikes. As far as I know - it’s incompatible with all brands of direct-drive trainers (i.e. no trainer brand offers their own Boost141 QR adapter ends).

You may want to contact Trek Bicycle’s support for their suggestions.

You may be aware of third-party adapters from companies like Robert Axle Project, which is a US-based manufacturer of specialty thru-axles. However, this one is made specifically for older model Wahoo trainers. Zwift has not tested this product or others like it, so we can not vouch for its compatibility with our trainer or your specific Trek bike.

Given the broader incompatibility with other direct-driver trainers, the safe route here may be to use a wheel-on smart trainer?

Thank you for your response,

It turned out that my colleague has cnc machines at work and he made the correct adapter for me (your adapter used as a model), on the one hand 135 QR, on the other 141 QR, everything works fine now :blush:

5 Likes

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I can’t see a way to message you directly @Dariusz_Konopka .

I’ve made the same mistake and discovered that my bike is incompatible - apparently Halfords also adopted this specification from Trek - nightmare!

Do you happen to still have the CAD file for your adapter please, so I can get one machined? Thanks in advance, in the hope you’re checking your forum notifications! :sweat_smile: I really don’t want to have to return my ZwiftHub if it can be helped!

(Sidenote for Zwift: since both Halfords and Trek are quite large manufacturers in the UK, it might well be profitable to make an adapter for this that can be ordered, even if you sell it with some crazy markup due to a lack of economies of scale).

niedz., 14 maj 2023, 09:36 użytkownik Colin via Zwift Forums <notifications@gozwift.discoursemail.com> napisał:

niedz., 14 maj 2023, 09:36 użytkownik Colin via Zwift Forums <notifications@gozwift.discoursemail.com> napisał:

Colin,
I don’t have a CAD file, a friend made it for me during his lunch break :), I’m attaching photos with dimensions, I hope they will be useful

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Really appreciate it! :raised_hands:

Sorry to press upon your kindness once again @Dariusz_Konopka , but is there any chance you could also provide these measurements as well please?

I’ve just realised when trying to create the CAD file that I don’t think there is enough information to derive them, since they look like they have different lengths to each other.

Thanks again!

falsified perspective, left side 4,96 mm, right side 4,96

1 Like

This thread was very helpful! Thanks for the info and ideas.

I have designed and 3D printed an adapter to allow my Trek Roscoe (Boost 141QR) to work with the Zwift Hub and it’s working great so far. I have a metal one on order from an online CNC service, but so far the 3D Printed version is working great. I printed it out of Carbon
Fiber Nylon. I have uploaded my CAD files to printables for anyone to make one for themselves. Just search “Zwift Hub Boost 141 Adapter” in the search bar for printables and you should see it. Sorry it won’t allow me to add links, so I can’t add a direct link.

3 Likes

Nice work :clap:

https://www.printables.com/model/491704-zwift-hub-boost-141-adapter

2 Likes

thank you good man :slight_smile:

Hi community

turns out my son’s new Giant STP FS 26" MY2022 has this 141mm QR rear axle.

There is a similar post for this issue when using a Zwift Hub Trainer:
Zwift Hub trainer with Boost 141 mm QR Trek - Zwift Shop / Zwift Equipment - Zwift Forums

Since I ride on a Wahoo Kickr Core I wrote Wahoo an email and was informed, that QR141 is not supported.

I created a model basically making the short side shaft on the standard 130/135mm-QR-adapter longer. So that the longer 135-side would fit as a more stable support in the trainer.

I didn’t change anything on the drive side.

It fit’s and works flawlessly.

Just to share with you in case somebody bumps into the same issue.

Thank you and ride on!

BR
Erik