Zwift has gotten too slow to use everyday

Zwift has become incredibly slow on my dedicated Mac mini. A computer that’s never been used for anything other than zwift. Game updates take minutes, every time I log in, loading screens for minutes, then multiple clicks to re-pair devices, find a workout and pick a route. Beginning to end its 5-10 minutes which is too much every time I want to ride. Is zwift doing anything to address any of this? Anyone else have the same issues?

I’ve not noticed anything being slower, windows 10 and it loads to the pairing screen within 2 minutes, updates take no more than 2 or 3 minutes max. Trainer and HRM are picked up within a few seconds and the new UI loads straight away.

Why do you need to repair devices every time? Sounds like something isn’t right on your end, not Zwift’s.

It’s because ant+ often picks up automatically and I repair to Bluetooth because of drop outs.

I haven’t noted any issues with TV OS or iOS, which both use BLE.

What year of production is this Mac mini? Is it running the latest version of MacOS?

1 Like

The switch from menu to in world (the blue screen) seems to have extended on our iPad… probably only 5 seconds maybe a little more…

it feels like it is taking longer in the last week…nothing concrete but I noticed it earlier.

it’s relatively new, 2020 at the latest and all software is up to date. Zwift has been noticeably slower since the user interface screens were updated. Also that added a whole lot more clicks and scrolling which is annoying

1 Like

Hi @Dan_L_Bigfoot_Endura

Shuji at Zwift HQ here. I looked at your logs on our server and see that your OS and game versions are indeed updated to the latest versions. So you’ve done what you can there.

The hardware is showing at a “Macmini7,1” which according to Apple is a MacMini (Late 2014) model. Do you have more than one Mac Mini that you’re comparing for performance differences?

If it is older hardware that’s been updated to the latest macOS Monterey - there are probably ways to optimize performance at the OS level. I’m gonna leave that to the Apple experts.

As for the Zwift piece of it - I suggest you do a through uninstall & delete everything related to Zwift because there may be a lot of cached data cluttering up your hard drive. Be sure to move any of your personal best files and custom workouts out of harm’s way before you nuke everything else. Step by step instructions are on our Support Hub.

1 Like

Then disconnect the ANT+ dongle so that you don’t have to waste time re-pairing w/BLE.

How about posting a screenshot of “About This Mac” since Macmini7,1 (Zwift logs) is definitely not a 2020 which would be an M1 MacMini (Macmini9,1)

I’d delete Zwift. Empty the trash and restart the mini before reinstalling. Also, do you close out Zwift completely after each ride? If not, you should.

2 Likes

Probably a mechanical hard drive.

It seems that the late-2014 model was available with mechanical HDD (only), Fusion Drive (HDD + SSD), and SSD (only). Fortunately, if this is the late-2014 Mac mini with just a HDD, it looks like the storage can be upgraded by the user quite easily and cheaply, which isn’t the case with more recent models.

Disabling FileVault can also help with storage performance, assuming you can live without that level of security.

Just to add that Dropbox has caused major issues with Zwift in previous years, it might be another possibility