Zwift Companion Release: August 10th (3.17 iOS, Android)

Ah ok,. hopefully someone hops on here and helps you out.

They discontinued 6.0 for the main app back in Jan. No word on the companion app though, would be a shame, bet there a lot of people using old phones & tablets for zwift

Companion app ditched 4.x with the last release. It’d be pretty weird for them to bin 5.x and 6.x in one go, the very next time around.

Quick update for all those on Android that have been seeing crashes, we just released 3.17.1 for Android to resolve the crashing issue. It should appear in the Play store soon. Please update and let us know if you are still getting crashes/hangs on app launch.

2 Likes

Seeing the update already.

Works fine! Many thanks for the fix.

Updated about 4hrs ago. Looks fine on iOS. France, Paris, Meetup Race Results, etc… all there.

Yup, confirm that works for me too. Thanks @Wes

Now back to my mini-map problem Companion App - still no mini map - #17 by Dean

Any chance you Zwift folks can do some tweak to get that working again for us mortals that have to hack around that needlessly?

Hi,

Go to “Zwifters”, select anyone, and give them a “Ride On!” (the last item - the “Ride On” is not strictly necessary - but why not…).

Return to the map tab - the mnimap should be there.

(Yes, I know its a workaround, but until such time as Zwift addresses this, this is my way of avoiding the issue)

Thanks @B_CN but my two keystrokes is quicker (go to exit and then hit back).

But its a pain in the butt when chatting/using rider list and the maps keeps disappearing. It would be fairly easy to code in “if android version =xx, then each time mini-map in focus reload mini-map” even if they couldnt fix the actual problem.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

You learn something new every day…

Thanks, I will give it a try.

1 Like

I’ve pressed everything to see if I can reduce to one … I havent found that one yet :slight_smile:

Hi - yes, still having crashing. I’m on Android 5.1.1 on a Sony phone. Thanks.

The companion app is behaving differently for me now since downloading the 3.17.1 patch.

I currently run Zwift on my PC in my house and cast my screen via Chrome to the garage. I use unified remote as a wifi mouse to start the ride, navigate menus etc. Now, if i switch to this app, or any other, i lose all connection to my sensors.

Before this patch I could happily switch between apps on my phone without issue. Version 3.17 worked perfectly, 3.17.1 has broken this.

1 Like

May be unrelated but I noticed my phone with Companion app active really not play nicely with my internet radio remote app tonight, which runs in the background. Kept dropping WiFi and made my phone unresponsive repeatedly. Like it couldn’t handle both running at the same time, which has never been an issue before. Also on 3.17.1.

It’s an odd one, both my wife and I had the same issue using our own phones. Both on 3.17.1.

I have now reinstalled the companion app and seems to be ok, it’s a billion degrees this evening so going to try it properly tomorrow now

1 Like

Just reinstalled and it was a weird process - it installed 3.17 and so immediately said there was an update available (the app crashed on trying it, as before the patch). Uninstalled, tried again and this time it installed 3.17.1 directly. So I’ll give that a go, in case patching was what caused my unresponsive issue.

Just been promoted to download 3.17.2 on Android. What’s changed/been fixed?

I’ve been having issues with connecting sensors and keeping them connected since 3.17.1

Just downloaded - now I cant get the game loaded as if it was on the wrong network. Its not as the pc is hardwired. Re-installed/rebooted. No go. Still get events.

So tried another PC (wired) and another phone - same result, it doesnt see the “game”.

Running it for a few minutes to see what the logs say

5 minutes and phone wont connect. Sent log to Zwift mothership. Also get errors on app that I have only seen once before (but tonight it keep coming up).

That’s really odd.

I use mine on a mesh network, PC is hardwired in house to router 1. Phone connects to garage via WiFi on router 3. Up until now this has been perfect.

Since update, companion and zwift app on pc seem to not talk to each other very well. Ending ride on companion app for example doesn’t actually leave the ride in the zwift app. Sensors disconnect and then can’t be found requiring a full restart of zwift.

Also Garmin cadence sensor simply won’t connect at all. The sensor has good battery and connects without issue to my Garmin edge but cannot be found by zwift companion.

Edit: also run the same setup but with pc on WiFi. Also brought sensors into the house HRM and cadence, won’t connect via companion. Will connect direct to PC Bluetooth though…

Mike:

Has your Garmin cadence sensor ever connected to Zwift Companion? I believe ZC requires Bluetooth, and most Garmin cadence sensors in use do not have Bluetooth. Your Garmin Edge is picking up the ANT+ signal from the Garmin cadence sensor.