Yellow Beacon + fence intermittently invisible for some in group [Yumezi] [1.14.1]

In the SZR Evening Joyride (D) group ride today (17:04 UTC / 19:04 CEST start) on the Three Villages Loop route, sometime after the first 20 minutes of all being well, the Yellow Beacon symbol and the fence (@Paul_Cooper_SZR) disappeared from the screens of some - but not all - riders.
Is this a known issue? I couldn’t find any cases listed here while running a quick search.

Apart from a few rare instances of Paul reappearing briefly in the neighbouring riders column on the right of the screen, he stayed invisible to what seemed the majority of riders for the rest of the ride, while continuing to ride with and message us, all while being alongside us from his point of view. From a quick straw poll in the chat, there seemed to be no correlation between the devices riders were using for Zwift and being able to see the YB or not.

The Yellow Beacon symbol sometimes reappeared in the mini map, way out to the left of the bottom of that box, but was generally not visible at all. I’m attaching a screen grab of my companion app (iPhone), showing the YB symbol far away from where the group with Paul was said to be riding.
Interestingly, the Red Beacon remained visible to all riders throughout the ride.

From time to time, I got the ‘RETURN TO GROUP’ message on my screen, despite the fence not being visible in game or in the mini map.

If this isn’t a known issue, please add it to the list of ‘features to tweak’. Thanks.

@Roule_Thoune thank you for posting this, your screen capture is interesting.

Tonight’s livestream link.

1 Like

Roule. Thanks for posting. It seemed very strange I was pleased I was visible as Red Beacon but Paul as Yellow also disappeared from my view too at one point. This glitch makes it very tricky keeping the group together and to pace. Hopefully gets sorted soon

1 Like

Saw something similar to this on the one group event I’ve done on Makuri Islands. I was in the middle of a split group following a quick descent - think it was at the bottom the bit in the OP’s pic, but coming the other direction - then the beacon disappeared from behind me and reappeared with the front group, maintaining the event pace. Everyone middle and back (including me) was instantly dropped, mucking up the event for half of the participants.

Apologies if this is a different issue, but seems related.

Cheers, Dave.
There’s certainly something not quite right with the apparent positioning of other riders in relation to oneself in group rides at the moment. Might be a Makuri Islands issue.
On this same ride, according to the RH column, at times fellow riders were jumping from five places behind me (around 15 secs back during a stretched out section) to five places in front, without any avatars overtaking me. Weird.

1 Like

@Roule_Thoune @Paul_Cooper_SZR @David_Butler2768 @Dave_ZPCMR

Thanks all for reporting in and doing some on-the-fly troubleshooting. The video from Paul’s POV vs. Roule’s POV are interesting. Let me flag this up to the team.

At this point - I do not think it’s related to the 1.15.0 game release, which went out about 4 minutes before your hour-long ride finished.

With Dave’s report from a different event - the common thread is Makuri Islands, so I’ll report that as a common denominator.

1 Like

@shooj this has been an issue since we have been allowed groups events in Makuri.

My lead streams from the 12th SZR Joyride D and 13th SZR Knightrider show it too I believe.

Thanks,
PaulC

2 Likes

I have had reports of this every time we take the AHDR rides to Makuri Island, & have experienced it myself on other group rides. I did NOT have any reports this morning from 340 riders in our AHDR Bacon Rolls event on Makuri Island which occurred not long after the 1.15.0 update.

Thanks @T_im_BacOn_Searle_AH for this as I have another ride in Makuri this evening.

1 Like

Perfect: that should be a good test to see if the update deals with this issue, Paul. This evening I can’t be on Zwift, unfortunately - would have liked to test it myself. It’s good that you stream the rides, providing documentary proof. :+1:

1 Like

Hey all… I’ve had the spontaneous invisibility thing happen to people twice back in late June/early July. Unfortunately, the issue resurfaced tonight so I just wanted to add my 2p in case it helps. Not sure if anyone else is still having this problem?

Just done a Meet Up (Two Village Loop) with 6 others in Meet-Up Only view. About 15min in, just after one of the gravel roads, I lost one of the people off my screen, though they were still in the sidebar. Two other members of the ride lost a different person off their screen at about the same time. I could still see that individual and they could see the avatar I was missing.

Interestingly, different people saw different numbers of missing avatars if they changed camera angle.

All of those “losing” people were running the latest version of Zwift on Windows 10. Unsure the set-ups of those being “lost”.

Hope this helps and do let me know if any further information would be useful!

1 Like

Sorry to read you’ve been experiencing this, Heather - but thank you for bringing it here. :+1:

I have only done free rides on Yumezi since the group ride that started this thread, and I haven’t noticed it in any group rides elsewhere since. (Also, that group ride was just before the July update and the ensuing partial rollback, so who knows if that situation has any influence.)

I think it’s particularly interesting that you noted different camera angles giving differing avatar counts.
Hoping this is a one-off for you, in any case.

I think we may have been on the same ride tonight, Roule :slight_smile:

Just to add to the information so far… Thought I’d test a group ride (Flatland Loop) to see if it might just be meet-ups with the invisibility issue. Everything seemed okay on my end in that regard. Did you find the same?

Unfortunately, that theory has been proven wrong because one of my friends did a group ride earlier (Two Village Loop… maybe a pattern here…?) which had the bug happen to multiple people apparently (though not him).

Yup, great to have ridden with you, @Heather_Tamminen_DBR. :grinning:

It all seemed normal regarding visibility on my screen, happily. (Although one rider veered off road and head straight out into the trees at one point - could have been someone running an older version of the game.)

Sorry to hear about your friend’s group’s experience. After the partial rollback of the July update and the lack of news since, who knows what factors are currently at play in Yumezi. Perhaps we’ll get a mid-August update? :man_shrugging:

Happened this morning on the DIRT Pacific Sprintapalooza riding the Two Villages Route on Makuri with Eric S of Zwiftinsider.com fame leading the ride. After the first lap, he became completely invisible to me and some of the other riders but not all. The fence and the beacon chevron disappeared on both the mini map and Zwift Companion. Periodically he would suddenly appear on the leaderboard ahead of me when I knew he was behind me. If he was ahead of me I couldn’t see him on any of the maps, leaderboard or video. He could’ve been right next to me and I wouldn’t have seen him.

This was my second group event in Makuri and it worked fine the other time.

Hi @shooj ,
We’re currently on the same weekly group ride as the one that caused me to start this thread, and we’re having the same issue again, i.e. some people have lost the Yellow Beacon on their screens, but not everyone.

It’s a different Yumezi route (Two Villages route, this time) and a different rider as YB (@Per_Westher_SZR ), but otherwise identical issue, intermittently.
Any ETA on a fix?

@Roule_Thoune

I’ve bumped the ticket. Thanks for the reminder.

2 Likes

Thank you for your swift response. :+1:

An addendum: towards the end of the ride, a few people (including @A ndre TBR / Marathon Soest) remarked that the Red Beacon (@David_Butler2768 , same RB as previously) was now also disappearing from the screen, even though he was still visible to most. This hadn‘t occurred previously.

2 Sundays ago while leading our [AsC 3.0] ride on Suki’s Playground route in Makuri Island, some riders gave feedback that I disappeared from their view.

The fun part came when the rider next to me said I went missing while another could see I was next to him :rofl:. Couldn’t help feel amused yet confused what bug is causing this sorcery​:man_mage:

1 Like

I rode the Maap Stage 4 in Makuri Islands on the Two Village Loop course yesterday and one of the 3 people I was in a breakaway group with disappeared to me (only) for the whole of the second/final lap. He was visible to the other 2 in our group. He could see me.

1 Like