XP Earned Per Ride

It would be nice to see the XP earned on each ride on the activities page in the companion app. We can already see our mileage, duration, elevation climbed, and calories burned. It would be nice to see how many XP we have earned on each ride.

Just my two cents to make this platform even better. Thanks everyone!

Adding to that, total XP points and points needed to next level, clearly visible in the companion app and profile on the website. Should’t be that hard to implement.

3 Likes

This might be particularly helpful when you get bonus XP from completing a badge.

For most rides it’s a quick bit of mental arithmetic, since you get 20xp per km or 30xp per mile. Depending on which units you’re using, just multiply the number of completed whole miles/km by the relevant number.

(I realise not everyone is comfortable with maths, and I’m not trying to say the feature wouldn’t be helpful. Just pointing this out in case it wasn’t obvious.)

1 Like

I made a spreadsheet with iOS Numbers and keep track of XP, drops, elevation gain (or miles completed to challenge) and badge total. Adding the figures in after a ride is one of the pleasures of completion for me.

Darren, I agree for normal rides mental math is not that difficult at 30xp per mile, but what gets difficult is in workout mode. Since XP are given for each segment of the workout, and at different rates based upon duration, and difficulty, the mental math becomes much more difficult to keep up with. Thanks, and Ride On!

2 Likes

Good point, I seldom ride workouts so that completely slipped my mind!

If all you want is the total XP for the ride, you could simply check your total XP from the menu screen at the start of the ride and then again at the end.

Still not perfect (and definitely agree there is a lot of stuff that would be useful in the companion app that we don’t currently have) but it at least gives you the data.

I fully agree. It would be so easy and so good for Zwifters to see the XP gained per activity!

I am new to Zwift (level 9 within the last 6-7 weeks), so obviously I researched the fastest ways to level up and I am currently doing lots of workouts, with my TT frame, optimizing interval durations, matching workouts with new routes to get the route badges, etc.

As discussed, it is actually quite difficult to know how many XPs are earned through a Workout activity as it depends on: the type of time block used (block / free ride /intervals), the time spent in that block and on the block completion achievements (full / half / no star for the block).

It would be great to see XP earned per ride to:

• feel good about completing the Workout and maximising the XP haul
  • be able to compare strategies and XP earned/km
  • remind myself of the biggest XP hauls
  • figure out how many rides or kms I need to Level up…

Considering the Activity summary already shows the activitiy totals (KM, time, Calories,etc.), it seems like a fairly easy enhancement to implement!!

Would really love to get more support for this - not sure how! Any advice welcome :slight_smile:
Thanks!

I feel 20 mph is the break even point.
At 20 mph, you get 30 points per mile and it takes 3 min.
In work outs, you get 10 pts per min so 30 pts per mile.

Rides less 20 mph I do workouts, 20 or faster (actually 17 or 18) I will free ride.
TT bikes do get the 10 bonus at arches but I think I prefer getting the draft.

If you’re that bothered, change your units to kilometres.:wink:

1 Like

it varies depending on what type of workout segment you’re doing
ramp ups get far fewer and over/unders get more

2 Likes

Hi Tim,

Your comment just reinforces the need for the “XP per ride” metric to be published!

I am not discussing here whether workouts or free rides win more XPs. It depends on how you construct the workout, how fast you can ride and how much elevation is in the course you want to ride…
…BUT the requested enhancement would definitely allow a better discussion on the topic, that’s for sure! We could simply share Zwift reported stats on our rides and see (factually) which strategy is faster for earning XPs!! (we can’t do that today…)

I like my workouts. I am training for endurance, not racing, and I am new to Zwift (couple of months) so I combine optimised workouts with new Route completion badges to level up fast. You might prefer group rides or racing… that’s cool with me!

Just 2 comments for you:
1/ As @Colin_Cadden notes - switch from Imperial to Metric in your settings and you will earn XPs faster! You probably knew that though…

2/ I get between 11 and 12XPs per MINUTE (not 10) by optimising the way the workouts are designed. The “cut off” is therefore actually closer to 35-36kph… which means the optimum strategy actually depends on the elevation in the courses you want to ride.

There is a solid article on Zwiftinsider on how to maximise XP gains through workouts and the best tips are in the Comments section!

That said - your response again reinforces the need for the XP earned per ride to be published so we could all have better discussions :slight_smile:

Yep. and:
Switching to “intervals” rather than blocks get 12XP per minutes instead of 10.
If you have to stick to blocks; reducing the blocks to 56seconds still get you 10XPs. 1’02 gets you 11XP…
Few ways to get close to 12XP per minute for the whole workout… :slight_smile:

Having the “XP earned” stats alongside Kms, time, elevation and calories would be a nice proof of that.

Thanks.
After 6 years and level 52, still learning.
I’m doing more work outs anyway so I guess I could look up the difference between a block and an interval.

In it’s earlier days, it was said that Zwift didn’t post complete feature instructions to encourage exploration , experimentation and social interaction by posting results on Facebook and forums.

See this: Level up FASTER on Zwift // No Cheating Required! - YouTube

If i were you i’d do the workout you want to the most and not one that’ll get you the most XP. People who base their rides around XPs rather than enjoyment or training benefits are doing it wrong (in my opinion!)
Levels will get there eventually so you may as well enjoy the ride to get there.