Would a Displayport cable make any difference over HDMI ?

Hi,

I am just about at my perfect Zwift setup with the recent purchase of a 21.9 Ultra Wide 34" 3440 x 1440 monitor to go with my GTX1050Ti graphics and i7 PC.

However I have noticed a slight frame drop when running in Ultra settings since going from my original  2560x1440 monitor - especially in large group rides or group workouts.

I currently use a 5m HDMI 2.0 to connect the monitor to the PC cable as the cable is run into the wall/ceiling. Before I try and pull it back through and draw a Displayport cable in its place does anyone know whether it would make any difference ?

Is Displayport a better cable standard than HDMI 2.0 for gaming ?

regards

A good question Graham

Technically, DisplayPort technology should be the go-to for gaming PC’s.

The only concern I could envisage is cable length. HDMI 2 cables can be much longer than the DisplayPort 1.4.

Certainly worth leaving a post in the games forums.

Ride On!

I don’t know the answer…sorry…but I would be REALLY interested to see a proper screenshot of Zwift on your set up so I can compare to mine and see what the extra GPU power gets you…if you don’t mind…

Maybe, but the decrease in FPS could simply be because to resolution has gone up.

Old = 2560 * 1440 = 3,686,400 pixels
New = 3440 * 1440 = 4,953,600 pixels

As requested

I don’t think a Zwift screen grab shows the Ultra level of detail, shadows etc.  I will try a proper screen grab over the weekend.

Can’t get blood from a turnip. Large group FPS hits are probably CPU related.

I decided to just disable the vsync, then optimize my graphic card settings for best real time results (enable the FPS counter and watch in real time). Once I had best FPS, I went through each setting to see what they gave me.

For me, I learned: Any sort of O/C seemed to reduce my Zwift performance. I set every GFX setting to the max for best visuals and live with FPS overhead loss, which is never bad enough for me to care about. PhysX setting can really affect FPS, but also induce stutter. Zwift is OpenGL, so keep that in mind. Once optimized, you can live with occasional screen tearing, or re-enable the Vsync. If so, be sure to test Triple Buffer.

I noted I had a HDMI/DVI adapter and switched to HDMI/HDMI. It was easier to plug in, but I noted no other difference. I don’t use HDMI audio.

Please report if the DP cable does anything notable. Good luck to you.

– added later: Wide view doesn’t seem to bring much more to the table, IMHO. It is just more FOV angle that makes riders smaller. Please note I ride first-person only and Zwift could really be improved in this respect. I want to see my wheel and hoods.  : )

Thanks…look forward to seeing it…

Alex - I have tried various ways of getting screen shot from Zwift including some 3rd party utilities like Greenshot but none of them seem to capture the screen properly as they exaggerate the light etc.

Here is a Zwift screen capture version of the jungle road so that you can see the extra visible area with a 21.9 monitor.

Hi Graham,

As you have noticed going up resolution will decrease your FPS. HDMI or DisplayPort will not make a difference in FPS. The only difference you will see between the to cables is the amount of resolution one will display, DisplayPort being the highest over HDMI. Your CPU and GPU plays a huge part in FPS.

Nice monitor by the way.