What have you found to be the best way to increase FTP in Zwift?

Hi, I’ve recently stopped using a trainer and want to shift my indoor training to Zwift. I use a watt-bike Atom combined with outdoor training totalling 5 times a week. I just did the FTP test with a result of 4.1 w/k. What have you found to be the best way to increase your FTP using Zwift - should I use a plan like Build me up, or go for the targeted workouts?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Cheers, Caroline

I have done the 4wk FTP Booster a few times it is a good plan. I would suggest getting a good training book, Like Training +Racing with power or the cyclist Training bible.

Great! Thankyou

i felt like the 2019 zwift academy workouts in particular were very helpful. i’ve run through them a few times, and my FTP is definitely up.

i also try to mix up the amount of vertical in my free-rides, and the amount of hard-pushing efforts. if i do a lot of flat rides, my FTP seems to suffer, but if i do a lot of consistent grinding rides, my FTP also seems to suffer.

more structure is probably the biggest key, though, so do what @Gerrie_Delport says :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m new to it all - trained really hard for
9 months to cycle up Mont Ventoux and am kind of at a loss as to where to go next. Thanks for your thoughts.

For what it’s worth, I’m guessing that 80%+ of the folks using Zwift wish they had an FTP of 4.1 wkg. So you’ve got a great starting point, for sure.

3 Likes

Try the Taiwan challenge 105 km of pure climbing does not get better or harder

Ha ha! A bit beyond my capabilities I think :thinking:… maybe I’ll start with something slightly less hardcore :joy:

If you’re doing 4.1 wkg you’re a cat 1 in just 9 months. You shouldn’t be worried about something as petty as your zwift ftp. You should be hiring a coach and training for you first professional tour.

Not sure about that :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

According to an reference I can find women’s cat 1 territory starts right around 4.1.

Men are higher around 4.8.

If she’s producing 4.1 functional threshold power shes a cat 1.

I’ve provided supporting evidence to support my thesis you’ve only provided what you think to be true. Problem is I don’t know who you are so I really don’t care what you think other than you seem to what to argue so I’m going to see my way out of this thread.

Hey Guys, with the newer update of Zwift the 4 week boost ftp Plan is cancelled?
I loved this plan, but now i can’t find it.

check out this thread, probably one thats got zipped up

thank you :wink: