Wahoo Kickr and Rear Derailleur

When using the rear wheel it only moves ever so slightly compared to how much it moves when attaching to the trainer.

This could take some time if I try and solve it myself as Iā€™m new to cycling but I just want to Zwift soā€¦

I am going to take the trainer with the bike to the local bike shop this Saturday after speaking to them and hopefully they can sort out the issue.

Iā€™ll update the thread on Saturday, hopefully with good newsā€¦

3 Likes

Hello all,

So Iā€™ve just been to the bike shop and they have advised there is nothing wrong with the rear derailleur.

The problem was that the axle on the wheel was slightly longer than the on the trainer, so they advised to put a 1mm spacer on the axle when using the trainer. He found this out by tuning the gearing properly on the wheel and then when he transferred the bike to the trainer the chain would actually fall off after the largest cog when shifting.

I told him that this bike will only ever be used on the trainer so he adjusted all the gearing on the trainer and now it works great as all the gears are working properly.

I asked about the rear derailleur moving inwards so much when attaching to the trainer but he said thatā€™s normal. There is still a little bit of vibration on the smaller cogs but you couldnā€™t really tell at the bike shop, it must be because the trainer is on the 1st floor at home so itā€™s a bit more noticeable.

Thank you all for the help and advice, now on to finding a group ride on Zwift!

6 Likes

Hi, had this exact issue with my QR rim brake indoor bike after I had ridden it outside on vacation. I had to adjust outside and after putting it back on the kickr it was off again.

Normally re-indexing should not be necessary if you use the recommended and a comparible setup.

I never had this issue neither with my old non-disc bike.

I changed the steel QR from Wahoo (turned out it was slightly bend) to an another QR from Tacx from another trainer and then it worked spot on. ā€”> if I remember correctly this was also the QR used on my older bike.

Might be worth a look.