Virtual L'Etape du Tour de France 2020 FAQ

This July, the Zwift community can ride the brand-new worlds and routes we created especially for the Virtual Tour de France. To learn details of the pro-only invitational races, head to this page.

Can I ride the same roads as the pros competing in Virtual Tour de France?
Yes. You can ride some of the same courses on the same days as the pros by participating in the Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France.

During the following weekdays, you can also explore the new France and Paris maps in the Discovery rides that happen Monday–Friday.

What is the difference between the Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France and
Virtual Tour de France — Discovery Rides?

The Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France events are larger and epic in scale as well as more competitive to mimic the legendary real-life L’Etape du Tour de France events. They’re also limited to weekends.

Virtual Tour de France — Discovery Rides are during the week and more casual. They also provide an opportunity to ride the other stage from the previous weekend’s race. And they’re the only way outside of Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France to ride these routes before July 25.

How can I unlock the Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France kit?
Finish one of the Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France official weekend events.
You will not unlock the L’Etape kit during the weekday Discovery rides.

Are some Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France events more challenging than others?
Generally speaking, they get progressively harder. But they’re all challenging.

Can I ride all three Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France stages?
Heck yeah!

How do you sign up for Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France and Virtual Tour de France—Discovery Rides?
Just log onto your account at zwift.com or the Zwift Companion app, find the event you want to participate in, and sign up.

How do you prepare for Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France?
Update your Zwift game app. You must use the latest version.
Update the Zwift Companion app to v3.16 if you use it. iOS version here. Android version here

Make sure you have everything you need for a typical Zwift session. We recommend that you err on the side of more food and water.

On the day of the event, log on early. We recommend at least 60 minutes earlier, just in case the game has to update.

Get to the pen about 15 minutes early, even if you don’t need that much warm-up. That way you’ll be in the front section of the pen.

What’s up with the yellow Ride Ons?
Cool, right? They’re a nod to the Yellow Jersey that the race leader wears.

This sounds amazing. Where can I watch the pros race the Virtual Tour de France?
We answer all your questions on the Virtual Tour de France 2020 FAQ page.

Where can I sign up for a stage of the Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France?

Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France events are available every 2 hours on Saturday and Sunday, except during time slots when the pros will be racing.
Register here

UPDATE July 4: Certain Zwifters are experiencing an infinite-spinner when they attempt to join a L’Etape du Tour event on a PC or Mac. Please follow these instructions to make sure you’re able to join the event.

Where can I sign up for the Virtual Tour de France — Discovery Rides?

Register here for the Tour de France — Discovery Rides.

I think a lot of people want to know what happens after July 25th, will France and/or Paris be on the guest world schedule or remain event only? Thanks Shooj!

4 Likes

And they’re the only way outside of Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France to ride these routes before July 25.

I expect limited to event only until 25th July, thereafter fully available as a new world. …

and for those curious about the new routes.

1 Like

Shane Miller has also released a video on his channel …

1 Like

So looking at the events… We can’t ride the new roads until at least the 11th July?

As per the original pinned post, “You can ride some of the same courses on the same days as the pros by participating in the Virtual L’Etape du Tour de France.” This would indicate that you could
ride one of the stages this coming weekend (July4-5).

1 Like

Nope. First two stages are in watopia.

6 Likes

This will be really interesting.

• Ventoux: an epic climb less steep than L’Alpe. Those on 100% resistance will feel the difference. Those who’ve got pacing on L’Alpe dialed, however, are going to get in serious trouble: this is 50% more altitude with 60% more distance.
  • Paris: an interesting circuit course: that 40 meter climb is going to seriously bite, and surprise a lot of racers.
  • rural France: this is a wonderful addition to the Zwift road racing menu: a mix of flat and short, intense climbs. Petit KOM is going to be a great big-ring draft-friendly climb, similar to the Titan’s Grove KOM.
1 Like

@Mike_Rowe_PBR
The Paris and France maps will join the regular guest world rotation in August.
Details to follow after the TDFV.

10 Likes

The first two stages are set in Watopia though not the new maps

@PrimalSteve - Yes the brand new roads aren’t being used until July 11/12, but are the July 4/5 routes really nothing more than Watopia Hilly and Mountain, respectively? The schedule of events suggests that they represent “Nice” (presumably the location in France, not the English adjective lol). In his recent Virtual TdF video Shane Miller says that these routes are “dressed up a little bit as Nice for now.” Likely no one outside of Zwift and whoever is beta-testing these routes (e.g. Miller, whose video makes it pretty clear that he’s already ridden the Champs course) will know until this weekend, but it seems a little absurd to make such a big deal out of a Virtual Tour on the Zwift platform and then use two completely normal Watopia routes for 33% of the event–can we not even hope that the graphics are altered (to suggest Nice, France instead of Watopia) for the first two stages?

2 Likes

Yes I think that they are being ‘dressed up’ (as per below image) but I had assumed that post was referring to the actual new routes rather than existing roads.

2 Likes

Anyone know what the Virtual L’Etape kit looks like?

@xavier_nihilo
The L’Etape kits are the teal ones shown in the first post.

According to Zwift Insider:

At the time of this post, the L’Etape du Tour events are set up so all riders are placed on the Trek Madone frame. This is due to partnership/sponsorship deals with ASO, and the good news is the Madone is a very aero frame.

Who is misinformed here? Shooj or Eric?

@Jim_Mattson stand by please, getting confirmation.

EDIT: you are correct. Trek Madones are part of an ASO sponsor deal that I wasn’t aware of. The original post has been updated.

1 Like