Urukazi Map Release [2022]

Don’t you think a $6000+ Computer is a bit to much for running Fulgaz/Zwift? :stuck_out_tongue:

Fulgaz and Swift runs here on a AppleTV and both run quite well.
The problem with Fulgaz is not the video quality, the problem is the limitation of the tracks.
Although I can climb hills around my home, I just can climb them, no downhill, no connection between them. That’s the big plus of Zwift … continuous riding.
But the downside of zwift is the lack of variation in terms of route profile and climbs. Two bigger climbs plus Epic KOM which is ok’ish.

And it’s also sad that future development seems only to happen in Makuri. France for example is such a beautiful map … why does that not receives some attention? Or Watopia … why doesn’t Alpe get a non-gravel connection and a few more climbs? But all maps except Makuri seem to be abandoned.

1 Like

Looks awesome so far guys!!! Thanks!

Sat Nav seems hot and miss; just tried the short Mech Isle Loop but got auto routed away toward Neokyo.

Edit: 2nd attempt worked fine so hopefully a one off glitch.

Island Hopper 18.0km will cover all the roads within Urukazi with exception of the 2 trunk roads connected to Neokyo.

1 Like

Thanks @Patrick_AsC-Primarch :pray:

Looking forward to see what the graphics designers has created this time :grinning:

BooX

I have one here at AUD$16K. I have run Zwift on it but only to see how it runs. Very nicely, very fast and highest detail but I generally keep that Mac Pro for work only.

Hear hear! ADZ could do with a gravel bypass to go directly to it, along with some other big climbs leading to the other side. A virtual col du Galibier and Col Sarenne would be lovely.

Innsbruck too could be made into a bigger world with beautiful scenery and staggering climbs. Timmelsjoch? Kuhtai? Höttinger Hölle (ouch).

The new Japan world looks nice, but a diversion back to European tarmac and no more gravel for a while please! :wink:

Exactly and let’s be honest Urukazi is more or less eye candy, it brings nothing really new to Zwift. One could say that there are new road surfaces but that’s just a gimmick which do not really bring a benefit.

Looking at watopia each part there has a purpose and enriches the map. The fuego flats are great for TT, the area around the city is kind of an allrounder (hilly, straights, … ), titans groove has a lot of small ramps with a short climb, the volcano is a fun mid climb, Col Du Zwift is for climbing, the jungle offers lots of gravel and alpe du zwift is real climbing fun.

Compare that with Makuri.
Longer climbs? None
Hilly sections like: Titans Groove or the Esses? None

The highest point is the temple (IIRC) the climb to it (sea to tree) is just 107 Meters of elevation.

Makuri Island is more or less eye candy. It looks realy great but from a training perspective it’s pretty boring.

There a so many iconic roads that could be implemented to zwift but they are currently more focusing on optics.

Oh and why on earth do the still produces x86-only Mac-Binaries? Do they use some old and no longer maintained frameworks?

3 Likes

In order to introduce a brief glimmer of positivity, I rode 5 new routes today, finishing with Turf N Surf, which is my new favourite route in Zwift. The ride through the gorge from the Rice Paddies to Urukazi is stunning. Should be good for racing, too, as there’s a climb on the way back that will force a selection not far from the finish.

7 Likes

I would love to see france get expanded, it has a decent flat bit, some small upss and downs, a little climb and a massive climb. Would be great to add to this at some point but can’t see it happening.

4 Likes

Looks lovely from a short ride last night and watching a race this morning.

The jury is still out as to whether the road surface visuals contradict which bike type should be fastest on them, most are using road bikes on surfaces that look like they should favour gravel or MTB.

1 Like

I’m intrigued what Zwift Insider will discover about the new (sand) road surface too. It felt fine on a road bike.

3 Likes

Same rolling resistance as tarmac.

1 Like

In which case, for example, wouldn’t the “hardpack sand” texture make more sense to be tarmac coloured with a light scattering of sand grains? :thinking:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t really look right though, when you consider the routes we’re riding (beaches etc).

1 Like

Me too. Probably in the minority, but Makuri does very little for me; I hardly ever ride there.

5 Likes

Same here … the city looks great, but technically it’s boring.

What I find a bit funny is that nearly all minor maps (France, Innsbruck, …) offer more variety than Makuri Island

2 Likes

This is confusing to me, why would the dirt sections in the new expansion not follow the same logic as the rest of the world(s)? It’s not necessarily a bad thing… actually probably a good thing… since there are so many changes in road surface on these new routes. However it will be so confusing for users to have new and different sets of rules on the same map.

So will this only apply to Urukazi, what about the rest of Makuri Islands? What about Watopia… has the jungle finally been “paved”? So many questions…

2 Likes

Me too, seems weird that gravel would slow you down but sand wouldn’t.

I agree it is a good thing though, unless the resistance is affected i don’t really see why it makes sense to slow people down just based on a graphical change.

1 Like

I want my innsbruck, france, bologna Paris super world and won’t be happy until i get it!

4 Likes

Maybe Zwift didn’t have time to find the correct CRR for this surface before the release?

1 Like

changing it post release is even a worse idea IMO, hope they don’t do that!

2 Likes