Trainer reliability

I am on my third Wahoo Kickr (2018 model) and I have started getting a vibration so I raised a ticket, thankfully a few days before my warranty runs out. When the trainer works it is lovely and I am enjoying it, but its reliability is terrible. I have two colleagues with the same trainer and they are also on their second and third trainer respectively.

So, I am contemplating a jump to a different brand. What are the general opinions of other offers such as Tacx, Cyclops, Elite etc? I am looking at getting something that works as well as the Kickr but that it does not break every five minutes.

Cheers!

The Kickr (2014) works fine here. We did have to replace the belt after four years.

Thanks for the reply. I wish I could find a new but older version Kickr to buy.

I was hoping to get impressions of reliability for other brands, preferably the Tacx Neo 2.

I have had the Neo 1 since October of 2016 and it still works the same as when I bought it. If it lasts for 10 years then I would be very happy.

Bought Kickr18 last year. Simply - disaster (search for my posts for more info here on forum).
Luckily I was able to return that crap, got refund and bought Neo2. I’m happy. Great trainer, no problem, no calibration, no issues, works flawlessly (maybe I should add - I haven’t ride it for several month (spring and summer here), but looking forward to use it during winter again).

GdF

1 Like

I have a CycleOps Hammer 2 since Christmas. It is solid build, I’m a big rider (230lbs). I calibrate it about every month or so through Rouvy app. I have over 2400 trouble free miles, I’m happy with it but many are with the Neo also. But you can catch one on sale for $950 or less, and it’s actually made in the USA.

Thanks for the replies.

I went to a colleague’s house to try out his Neo 2. I cannot say that I was blown away. Not a bad trainer but not better than the Wahoo Kickr. My main complaints were the way that it feels under sharp acceleration and the fact that there was a bit of noise from the bike movement. I am also not a huge fan of having to block up the front wheel.

Admittedly it could have felt a little better with my own bike on it (he did not want me to get my bike on the trainer) but I genuinely felt a bit awkward on it. Without the reliability issues for me the Kickr is the better trainer. Robust in build, smooth in operation but shame for the fact that it breaks every 5 minutes. Maybe I have been unlucky and trainer number 4 will be good.

Mind you, both myself and my colleague are Exercise Physiologists in one of the best university departments in the UK and we did some accuracy testing compared to laboratory equipment (making the assumption that they are the gold standard). I have a Kickr and Vector pedals and he has a Neo 2 and Assioma pedals. The Kickr was closer to the Lode in the lab as were the Assioma pedals. The Neo 2 was erratic at times and when it was settled it was overestimating power by ~ 3-4 percent. The Garmin pedals were a bit of a joke. So much so that I raised a ticket to get them exchanged.

1 Like

FWIW, GPLama indicated in his review that the new Neo 2T seems to have overcome the sharp acceleration issue, so you might give that a look. I’m using the Neo 2 and, IMO, it’s far better than the Kickr. I always thought the Kickr had a bit of a ‘slip’ when pedaling. And the road feel is kind of fun.

Hi George,
I chose the Neo when I decided to upgrade.

When anybody is about to spend this amount of money the item must work. For me anyway. I nearly bought the Wahoo as I was anti Tacx as they had
a poor customer service from what I read from other users. I’m glad I didn’t due to Wahoo’s problems and the Tacx just works.
The Neo did reduce my wattage which was a surprise. I have still yet to compare it to another power meter. I can live with that. (maybe my power tap wheel reads high?)

I’m tired of manufactures bring out sub standard products or products too early and asking top prices for them. Hats of to Whaoo though as they were extremely proactive unlike some who try and avoid the issues like they are not happening.

All we need is something that works and is accurate. The Neo seems to do that.
I like the no calibration and the ability to run the unit without a power supply. I bought the Neo 2 as I guessed they should have sorted any problems by then.

Wrong as it started off with a cadence issue. (I was using a Garmin cadence so I didn’t notice that issue). Two years down the line and the “Mark 2” still not right.
If these products didn’t cost so much or were so important to us, you could laugh.

I chose to buy mine at a LBS so I had a face and a place to take it back to if I had a problem. This maybe the only bit of real advice in this message. LOL

Sorry for the long message with no real solution.
“Ride On”

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Troy!

Other than my hands on session and the lab test that I run, the fact the Wahoo customer service is second to none made me decide to stay with the Kickr. I have another year’s warranty on the trainer and even when they replace it I have no down time because they send the replacement before I have to send out the old one.

However, I totally agree with you. It is disgusting that the industry is not held accountable to poor technology being released without thorough testing. In my experience, the majority of the companies involved in this sector are similar in doing this.

Anyway, thanks again for the reply and indeed, Ride On!

George

Hi George,
Wahoo really are leading the way with the customer service. Its great to hear that they send one out before you return yours, very impressive!

With that style of customer approach if they made the product bullet proof and maybe add “no calibration feature” they could totally dominate the indoor trainer market.

Thanks for your info.
Cheers " Ride On"

Just received Kickr number 4!! :scream: Fingers crossed this will last fro more than 5 minutes…

Troy, yes, I can’t fault them for their customer service but it will have to be matched by a robust product otherwise I will look elsewhere before my warranty runs out next year.

I don’t mind the calibration (spin down) which I do weekly. In fact, being a scientist, much of my working life revolves around calibrating equipment correctly. If anything, the “no calibration” feature on a product makes me more worried than pleased. Does the Neo have a self-calibration or something?

Cheers!

George

Hi George,
thats right the Neo doesn’t require any calibration. I’m not sure why
but i like just getting on and riding. My setup at present is often put
up before a ride and taken down after the ride, so the less I have to do
the better. ( I hope to have a permanent setup and leave in the near future)

There are firmware updates for the Neo via a smartphone, although
I’m a little wary of any updates as some users of the Neo 2 where
having more problems with the update than the previous level. So I
generally wait before updating.

If your Kickr is good I noticed a new product that will be released
for it soon by E motion. Its gives forward and side movement.
Check it out on DC Rainmakers website. It makes me want a Kickr!
Fingers crossed for your new one.

All the best “Ride On”
Troy

I’ve had a Neo since December. I’ve done all the updates and have never had a single problem. Mine is set up 24/7. I leave it plugged and and just connect via my Samsung Note 8 mount to the handle bars, then cast to to my 58" TV. I love the road feel it provides. It’s super easy to connect and ride. I’ve had no problems with Tacx support when I was using the Tacx RLVs. They even sent me a copy of the older VR software that they no longer support. This is a pic of the set up with my mtb, as I just had my right hip replaced

1 Like

Troy, that’s a game changer for me. I had never seen the moving platforms before and I am now planning my next purchase!! :smile: Thanks for the heads up!

I guess I will be staying with Wahoo for a while then!

1 Like