TOW 4 - Neo 2T Gravel Feel

Just wanted to voice my negativity towards the new Gravel feel for the Neo 2T on the Tour of Watopia Stage 4 route.
I turned it off after about 20 seconds.
My son left it on and later complained about having knee pain.

It is easy enough to turn off, but I really don’t mind the normal gravel feel. The sound and roughness usually motivates me to pedal harder. So, if this is just testing out something new. Well something new isn’t an improvement.

Cheers
Relec.

What you are experiencing is the difference between Zwift ‘dirt’ (normal) and Zwift ‘gravel’ (ToW Stage 4). I did not like it either. No knee pain for me, or anything like that; I just found it much to ‘metronomic’. It was like a rode the same 3’ stretch of gravel over and over and over. A bit more variety would be nice.

1 Like

Has anyone mentioned the cadence issues on the Stage 4 route? I have the original Tacx Neo & use AppleTV 4K and noted that my avatar cadence on the new gravel surface was usually 150 - 185. As soon as I hit the different surface, right at the very bottom of the route and the climb back up it reverted to normal cadence the shot up again when back on the new gravel. I have Vector 3 pedals and they showed my cadence was around 70. There is obviously a glitch somewhere. As for the new surface, the feel from the Neo its not ideal but its a lot better than cobbled surfaces in Richmond, Paris and Neoyko.

Interesting… I’ll be doing this stage in about 4.5hrs. I’m on Apple TV and OG Neo. Will report back later about the road feel and cadence.

edit: forgot to enable the road feel :sweat_smile: and the remote was out of reach :man_shrugging: cadence was normal throughout, both onscreen and in my .fit file. I did see in the chat someone complaining that their cadence was showing 167rpm. I didn’t ask what trainer they were on. Is the cadence issue tied to the Neo road feel?

Yeah. Feels like my character is deliberately riding through the same three potholes over and over and over.

1 Like

I saw that as well with an original Tacx Neo. My cadence was 60-70 on the climbs, but read 60, 120 and 170, depending. I thought maybe the new gravel surface feedback was somehow tricking the Neo into misreading my cadence. I did not care for the new feedback, either. Not as fatiguing as cobbles, but it didn’t feel like anything in real life, either.

1 Like

Same on my Tacx NeoBike. The road feel was exaggerated, unnatural and annoying. I live in Kansas, so I have some idea how gravel ought to feel! :grinning:

Yes 100% agree - was super annoying and felt like it was going to eventually cause knee pain. I’ve gotta figure out how to disable that while riding

Just for yocks, the cadence vs. altitude graph from Stage 4. The 0 cadence early on was me figuring out that I couldn’t set my bike to mountain. I guarantee you I can’t do 175 for extended periods.

I made a feature request quite some time ago to make “Tacx NEO road feel” a slider (similar to trainer difficulty) instead of a simple “ON/OFF”.

The NEO line supports this functionality. (see above-linked thread, or go into the TACX training app where it’s demoable)

I’ve disabled it entirely as Zwift makes cobblestones feel like potholes.

I ride a ~38mm tires at low pressure in the real world - I’d like to match that feel to my NEO in Zwift.

1 Like

Cant say I saw or felt any cadence issues on the gravel route using a 2T with road feel on last night

I tried Road Feel on my 2 once. It was nothing like riding on the road. I’ve never tried it again.

Interesting to read there’s an intensity slider in the Tacx app. That might make it more palatable.

1 Like

Hi all,

I have to ask because it doesn’t seem like it’s been mentioned yet, but is everyone impacted by this issue also using the latest firmware for your Tacx Neo type smart trainer?

Also, I’m waiting to hear back from the team to see if we have a bug report written up for this issue yet. I’ll update you when I hear back. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes. Neo 2 on the latest firmware. (It’s been quite a while since the last firmware update. )

I have experienced the erratic/high cadence problem on my Tacx Neo 1 as well. Latest firmware, but a new version has not been released for ages. Probably the original Neo is not supported anymore?

Hi everyone,

I heard back from the team and it looks like we have a few different bug reports in to the developers; they’re working on a fix for the cadence spike issue and for the the Tacx road feel issue.

Thanks to everyone for your diligence in reporting these things!

2 Likes

oh, so that’s why I saw so many people with crazy legs during stage 4 yesterday. I clicked on a few of them and their cadence was between 150 - 180 rpm.

1 Like

I saw someone yesterday who’s avatar was permanently in sprint mode despite showing less than 3wkg

That is likely just because their FTP is set too low. The avatar will go into the ‘sprint’ position at 2x the rider’s set FTP.

2 Likes

ANT+ Apple laptop connection to TACX NEO with road feel enabled. On the gravel road parts of the TOW stage 4, the cadence numbers were displaying almost double what they should. When going over bridges or other terrain, the cadence numbers normalized. Any thoughts or similar issues.