Total mileage/distance is HIGHER than actual miles

I’ve read a lot of posts about the 30-day mileage being greater than the total distance, or where the total distance is less than actual (i.e. rides missing). I have a different problem whereby the total distance is greater than the actual miles I have rode. Like many of us, I track my miles on an excel sheet and the total distance is 542.7 (also reflected in my Garmin app). In the Zwift app (on AppleTV) and ZCA, it shows a total mileage of 578. Has anyone else seen this? Is this yet another display problem?

Hi Simon, I am new to Zwift but have noticed the same thing. I am noting a difference between my Garmin 500 and Zwift.
I have just been reading up on the settings for different trainers and how effects Zwift. I am using a Minoura 500 mag trainer which is not listed by Zwift so I chose a model that looked similar. I wonder if that is effecting the output measurements and therefore the speed calculation.

You cannot compare speed or distance between Zwift and a Garmin biking computer, the 2 will hardly ever match. There is no way for the Garmin to know about the Zwift in-game variables

.Going to post this again:

Zwift takes the wheel speed broadcast by your speed sensor and the power curve of the trainer you select on the Pairing Screen and converts that to virtual watts. With those watts, the weight entered, height entered, in-game bike used, in-game drafting (Tri and TT bikes get no drafting boost), in-game wheel set, in-game road surface, and in-game virtual elevation changes your in-game speed is determined.

Just to clarify, the Garmin stats are gathered from the activity upload at the end of each ride. I’m not sure this has anything to do with speed/trainer, if I go into my.zwift.com, look at all my past activities and add up all the mileage, it comes to 542.7 - so something is wrong that the total distance screen is showing 578, a difference of ~35 miles!

I think it is a rounding error. For example, Strava has a ride listed as 17.12 where Zwift has it listed as 17.10, over time this will add up to many “missing” miles.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the issue for me. I’ve only done 34 rides total, so it would impossible to have a 35 mile discrepancy due to rounding error.

Surely within the Zwift app (ignoring Garmin), the sum of all your rides in My Activities and the total distance shown should be the same number??

but it’s not.
I’ve 6638.3km, Zwift says 6536.3km.
Missing 102km.
But it doesn’t matter.
It’s been always this way.

I realize this is a thread that hasn’t been replied to in some time but I too am seeing a discrepancy in Zwift Activity totals (added on a spreadsheet) vs Zwift total distance (on the companion app or computer). Any updates on this problem? This problem is not related to Zwift vs Garmin or any other tracking app, purely within Zwift.

Someone suggested the algorithm calculating the distance from the power has been tweaked and it has been applied to all my rides.

1 Like