Too many and too frequent manual elevation changes on treadmill

(Jon Odwazny) #1

I LOVE the route in Innsbruck, but when climbing up the mountain, I had to make a ton of small elevation changes over and over again all the way up.  It seemed like every few seconds, I was hitting the up or down button.  Since every 1-1.5% change of elevation or so also requires a manual change of speed, there were times when it felt like I was pressing buttons almost constantly, and when working hard, this became a nuisance.  For example, when the hill percentage changed from 5 to 9%, I–not knowing where the percentage was ultimately stopping–would have to have pressed a long sequence like: up, up, up, speed down, up, up, new speed, enter, up, up, up, speed down, speed down" before I was able to put my arm down.  That kind of thing can take 20-30 consecutive seconds of button-pressing.  I can see how this more gradual shift in the steepness of a hill/mountain is more realistic for cyclists, but it was difficult while running at a hard effort.  Perhaps if the incline meter showed the current AND final elevation for that change, as in “5% --> 9%”, runners could just enter the new percentage and be done with it.  Treadmills have a (time-adjustable) telemetric lag in elevation change anyway, so we’d lose very little realism.       —>Another way to handle this would be to limit the frequency of elevation changes.  I understand how you would not want this on “rolling” terrain–which I agree should definitely be a part of Zwift–especially for cycling because it is very cool to ride on terrain like that, but on a mountain climb, if the game could let one elevation change sit for a while before making a new change, that would be great, too.  Go from 5% to 9%, stay at 9 for 15-20 seconds, and then go up to 12%, stay for 30 seconds, then go back down in stages, etc., it would help.  Maybe this is better left for a “runner-centric” course if one is ever developed, but it’s an idea.  Thank you for your consideration.   

(Steve Ellis) #2

The heatmap posted by Strava users indicates that in real life, runners in the Innsbruck region prefer routes other than that hill. Select a color (e.g. Red) and Activity Type (shoe) to see the map of outdoor runs posted on Strava.

(Jon Odwazny) #3

I’m not sure what to say about that, Steve, other than in real life, they don’t have to hit buttons to change the elevation of the hill they are running on or the speed that they are running.  I love that hill.  It is a great challenge: a long climb at high percentages.  When I start organizing runs, that’s the first place I’d like to go with a group.  Going up that bad boy is how you get stronger.  I don’t know where those Innsbruckians would prefer to be in real life, but in Zwiftland, I’d bet that this climb becomes a magnet for the climbers in both disciplines.  Thank you for getting back to me.