Suspension Bridge

I’m no engineer but I don’t think that bridge would work. Unless the structure above is just decorative.

I am also no engineer Peter but something of an amateur bridge enthusiast. I believe the premise of this bridge is a “through-arch” build style, a little like the Tyne Bridge, only in this case with an A frame as the support rather than a rounded archway, where the bottom of each strut of the A would be buried in foundation, and the bridge platform “hung” from the frame. The worrying point of weakness comes at the triangular point which I think wouldn’t distribute load evenly so would have to be very robust, or perhaps a very light platform. Fortunately in Urukazi there doesn’t appear to be any heavy vehicular traffic though perhaps Zwift could consider implementing a maximum rider limit so as to not stress the structure too much. Could be a fun point of attack in a race, make sure you get to the bridge in the first 15 otherwise you’ll have to wait to cross the weak bridge,

4 Likes

Thanks for your prompt reply Nick, but I’m sorry, I believe the strength of the tyne bridge comes from the strength of a parabolic arch. I’m thinking no arch no strength.

1 Like

Thank you for the insight Peter, I believe you are right. When will Zwift start taking rider safety seriously? This is an accident waiting to happen.

8 Likes

Particularly if the Watopia dinosaurs manage to make it over there. They would count as heavy traffic.

3 Likes

Maybe they could use some of the light bridge technology from New York as a temporary fix.

1 Like

Found this, so I may have to admit I was wrong.

Although to me the bridge in zwift looks like its made with cables like a suspension bridge, which I still maintain, would not work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the trees from Sequoia Circle find their way there we’ll have heavy plant crossing.

Wahey.gif :smile:

3 Likes

So if you’re in a pace partner ride with 100 riders the pace partner comes to a halt and organizes riders to cross the bridge 15 at a time, all pace partner riders have to sit on the other side until the pace partner themselves crosses at the end. Otherwise it’s just not safe.

1 Like

I’m definitely cracking up over here

I just hope the bridge isn’t >25m long or we’ll all get thrown off the Pace Partner rides :scream:

1 Like