Spofity playlist linked to zwift workouts

I recently wrote a workout file (.zwo file) which replicated a spin bike class I take with a Spotify play list. as long as you start the playlist when your avatar starts moving the workout syncs pretty well. It’s pretty cool when you go under a archway as the track changes. I would like to see if there was a way to easily share these files and links to Spotify playlists? As long as you have a Zwift log in and a Spotify account then its easy to use and a bit of fun if you like riding to music.

I agree with others that Zwift shouldn’t get into the music business, but making music integration like this easier would be awesome.

Down w the music option. ESP if run from iPhone and can’t run zwift and Bluetooth to music.

Yes please! I’d love to be able to use my Spotify playlists with Zwift.

1 Like

Sure you can. I pair wireless Bluetooth ear buds. Start iTunes, make my music selection. Push play. Then, I open up Zwift and get to riding. The only drawback is that if I want to change to a different playlist or album, I have to switch back to iTunes which appears to cause my Zwift avatar to start coasting if not completely stop. So, make sure you have the right music for the ride/workout so that you do not need to exit Zwift for music adjustments. My earbuds (Jaybird) also allow me to fast-forward, rewind, or stop the music along w/volume controls.

My biggest problem with running Zwift on my iPhone is that I no longer can use the Companion app.

Hi, This post is about linking a workout (.zwo file) with a Spotify or other playlist not simply playing a playlist. I’ve managed to do it and it’s really fun seeing your tracks synced to the music - for example sprinting on the chorus or standing for a hill climb when the text appears on the screen. It took some time to write but worth while when it works.

2 Likes

:smile: I wasn’t hijacking your thread, only replying to @E_Atme.

Sorry I didn’t see that. Thank you for replying and helping. Music and zwift are definitely great together. x

That sounds amazing. Would love to do that. How did u do it? Thank you!!

Not exactly linked however I have been creating Spotify playlists for our weekly Zwift AHDR (Aussie Hump Day Ride) which is run on Wed 7PM (Australian Eastern Standard Time) for about 18 months now. We (3-5oo usually) start out at around 2W/Kg for 40 minutes and ‘After Party’ race to the line for the remaining 20min. The playlist is tailored to this change in tempo and updated every week.

I also update a weekly playlist for the ‘Zwift AHDR The Chop’ race (Thursday 7:10PM AEST) which is a flat stick handicap race. The music is mainly of the ‘Go Hard’ variety without going crazy and still maintaining a tune.

These two rides are are great fun. We often have newcomers jump on making the effort to comment they are some of the best rides on Zwift.

While I’m at it, there are also a stack of “Cycling Endurance” and souvenir riding playlists connected to my Spotify profile (connect via AHDR Main Ride and The Chop lists). Cheers

PS: These playlists are best listened to with Shuffle off, Crossfade 12 seconds on, Repeat on.

2 Likes

I am in the process of creating an app that allows you to create and listen to playlists that match zwift workouts. If anyone would like to become an early alpha tester of this let me know. At the moment you need a spotify premium account and an android device.

4 Likes

Hi David. Could this work for group rides as well as workouts? So all Spotify Premium riders heard same tracks at same time? A

Hi Andrew,
Beyond pressing play at the same time? At the moment no. I can forsee how this could be done though without too much trouble.
If you send me an email at bello81(at)gmail I can send you a link to give it a try.

D

Check out a new service from Strava:

Hey everyone, we’ve previously shared a service called pr.fm we made as a side project that syncs your playlists to your Strava activities. Now, we’re back and excited to share a new feature which helps you build workout playlists tailored for your biking and running.

It works likes this: as you listen to music and exercise, pr.fm automatically learns what music helps drive different performances based on your pace and heart rate. Then, with the push of a button, you can build and export new plays list of any intensity (low, medium, high) and duration (30 minutes - 4 hours).

If you’re anything like us and are always looking to match your music perfectly to your workouts, then our tool might just save you a ton of time and help you get the most out of your training.

I’m a little biased, but these are awesome & add to the event imo!

Hi, I would love to help with this testing if you are still looking for people? I’m used to testing apps when I was in engineering before becoming a triathlon coach.

My playlist is called “ChiliTri Spicy 45 Zwift” - you should be able to search for it in Spotify.
I can send you the zwo file and instructions as well but cant attach them here.

1 Like

Are able send me the instructions on how to do this? Much appreciated
Thanks,
Drew

Hi Drew, The way I did it was to take a spin routine that I wrote for my spin class so I already had a 45 minute play list. Then I took the routine and created a Zwift session with the right timings for the track and the timings for the efforts e.g. 10 sec all out sprints, standing during the chorus etc. It´s a very manual process but works really well if you start the session at the same time as starting the play list.
I´ve added the zwo file, spotify playlist and instructions on my website ChiliTri in the store as a free download.

This forum will not allow links so google Chilitri and go to the last page of the shop listings and you will see it as the last “product”.