Sore butt

Okay - I just bought my first trainer and rode indoors for the first time today. After about 40 minutes my butt was really sore. Still is a couple of hours after the run. I was wearing my usual bibs and I usually rise for 2 to 4 hours without any issue. Is this normal for a trainer (mine is direct drive) since there isn’t a tire under you? Anyone else ever have this?

I’ve been wondering about this too, a little bit. I’ve been riding my direct drive trainer about 3X/week for a few months and it seems my butt still hurts more than it should. I blamed it on swapping saddles a few weeks ago, but it seems more than that. I have two pairs of padded shorts, and I do think the thicker padded ones (high quality) actually make it worse, so there’s a few variables.

If you’re using the same saddle, but feeling it more on the trainer, then I’d think about slight changes in riding posture and/or intensity vs outdoor riding.

I’m doing the Jett endurance 100 miler this weekend and will probably use some cream. I did it once a few weeks ago without cream. The discomfort comes/goes throughout the ride.

If you search the forum a bit you’ll probably find a number of threads similar to this. For many the solution seems to be to make a more concerted effort to stand or change your position. When riding the trainer it is far easier to just remain in a static position than when riding outside. So, I’d start there, since there is no additional cost to it, and see if this helps the issue. I know I had some troubles when I first started riding Zwift a lot, but now 5 and 6 hour rides are no issue.

2 Likes

changing position frequently is your best bet for sure.

also, chaffing seems to be a bigger problem (at least for me) indoors – get some chamois butt’r!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=butt'r+chamois+cream&crid=2ODVPEOZY9XPU&sprefix=butt'r%2Caps%2C200&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-ap-p_2_6

newer shorts also seems to help me; i have a few older pairs and they are punishing to use for long rides.

1 Like

I think indoor is worse as your position just doesn’t change so you are wearing all the same spots non stop. I really try to get up out of saddle or at least change positions a bit regularly and use cream.

1 Like

Some people swear by rocker plates, which sit either under just your rear wheel, or under the whole bike, and give you a rocking motion from side to side. These help to vary the pressure on your sit bones instead of just being constant.

Some of the initial commercial rocker plates were very expensive (e.g. Saris), but there are is a lot more choice now, and lower prices.

If you’re handy with cutting wood then there are lots of resources to let you easily and cheaply build your own - search for the group “Rocker Plates” on Facebook.

1 Like

I haven’t encountered this particular discomfort myself, but my guess would be that when you’re pedaling outside you rock the bike ever so slightly from side to side with each pedal stroke. On the trainer it is your ass that rub against the saddle when your body does the slight motions instead. I would try some chammy.

Thanks for all the advice. The rocker plates look cool but way too pricey - and changing lightbulbs is about as handy as I like to get. I have been changing position (out of necessity). It seems to help. Fortunately I don’t have to be aerodynamic online. Also just got my first tube of chamois butt’r. Don’t have much chaffing but I figure it can’t hurt.

Apart from what has already been brought up, I would assume that even with a good fan, you will sweat more and it will vaporize less from the bibs that it would outside, worsening the chafing