Set a PR up the Alpe with our Event Pace Partners!

Sorry, I’ll make sure I revert to normal behaviour shortly.

1 Like

anything on the cards for those wanting to go quicker?

Thought you weren’t an A :rofl:

1 Like

I’m not but I’ve still gone up the alpe quicker than 49minutes as a B

My 49.17 was at 3.9.

I don’t have plans on using an Event Pace Partner faster than 4.0 currently.

1 Like

will these events be set so that you only see people signed up? I was wondering whether:
a) could you jump on the pp-bandwagon as it passes
b) if you struggled for pace, could drop back to the next pp coming along.

I’ve set them up so you can see everyone - allowing you to drop back to the next group if the pace is too hot.

5 Likes

My favorite thing about this is that the lead-in will be at an easy pace - no need to burn matches before getting to the part that counts.

I’ll probably give it a try. Current PR is 62:19 @ 3.07 w/kg… 3.3 can’t be that much tougher, right :sweat: ?

1 Like

My PR is 63’51" at 3.06 W/kg (about a year ago) and I was thinking the same thing. I’ve signed-up for Thursday, but beginning to regret it already, lol.

If you’re around 3 W/kg. on a solo ride my guess is that you’ll be slightly higher on a PP ride, just from the mental gain - so sub 60 should be possible for both of you :crossed_fingers::grinning:

And of course remember to pick the best climbing bike available at your current level :bike::grin:

And most important… remember to do a selfie screenshot while waving at corner 17 :grin:

BooX

This made the set up so much harder than it would have been without a warm up!

4 Likes

And for that, we are eternally grateful :laughing: :+1:

3 Likes

As these are events, will the drop multiplier still be effective for the bots, or will the bots act as regular yellow beacons?

I don’t think so. They are just like regular leaders, but automated.

No multiplier, just like a group leader.

On the Alp Du Zwift with pace partner bots do we ride back down as well with bots or do they disappear at the top?

I did the A ride this morning (1100 BST) and was good fun. Got gapped near the top, but finished with a solid 51 mins

1 Like

They disappear at the end of the event (the top)

1 Like

This was a fun event. Highly recommended. I got the prize I was looking for. A few notes:

• I was surprised when the bot doubled her pace on a bump on the way to the segment, and when she did not speed up at the start of the segment. I’d prefer a fixed pace on the warmup and a fixed pace on the segment, but she’s only responding to gradient (by design I assume)
  • Some riders were disappointed that the group didn’t stay together. It would help to clarify in the event description that there won’t be a bunch, because many/most will be chasing a PR. (It was also annoying that disappointed folks were mocked by other riders. Come on.)
  • Some chatter about losing speed in the corners where it flattens out. You have to shift promptly in response to lower gradient, or dial down trainer difficulty.
  • I didn’t want to fall behind the bot near the top when chasing would be hard, so I rode ahead of her a little, maintained her advertised pace, and trusted that my slightly lower weight would keep me ahead. This worked. It was helpful to have the bot providing assurance that I would hit the target.
  • It would be more fun to have the slower categories start first, with A last. That would provide more rabbits on the course and it would seem like a bigger event.

Thanks @James_Zwift :+1:

1 Like

I would too. That was the best I could do to set it up as the pace only changes on gradient.

Yep. I saw this. There was also a personal attack at a member of staff.

I think this is lack of experience on the climb, it’s perfectly normal. I was grateful for them :slight_smile:

Yep, I like this idea.

1 Like