Schwinn ic8 with Favero Assioma duo, Help!

Hi i bought a Schwinn IC8 and the Favero assioma duo pedals. the pedals are installed. Now my problem. If i connect the spin ic8 with the pedals and i choose as power source, cadence and controllable the spin bike then i can cycle in zwift. if i choose the assioma pedals to connect as power source and cadence then i cant cycle in zwift and i cant find controllable with the assioma pedals as power source.
1.why i cant find the assioma for controlable but with the spin ic8?
2. can i or i have to turn off the schwinn ic8 ?
3. do I have to manage the pedals with the bike or only with the zwift app?
4. it is imperative to use bicycle shoes to cycle with assioma?
can anyone help me pls, maybe with a instructions. thanks a lot for a helpful answer, I am desperate

[image]

Pedals are not controllable. Select only power and cadence.

2 Likes

it is imperative to use bicycle shoes to cycle with assioma?

The pedals measure how much you bend the spindles when you pedal. I think that in principle, you don’t absolutely need cycling shoes for the pedals to spit out an accurate estimate of how much power went into flexing the spindles. But I’m not an engineer.

What is true is that if you don’t use cycling shoes, you are going to lose a lot of power in the shoe to pedal connection. Your feet will squirm all over the place. Also, the Assiomas aren’t flat pedals, so they’re not designed to hold onto sneakers or gym shoes. You are (I think) going to get an accurate estimate of how much of your pedaling force went into flexing the spindles, but you are going to lose a bunch of power in the interface between the pedals and your shoes.

I realize clipless pedals have a learning curve, and when you ride them outside, basically everyone is going to fall over at a light once or twice. But wait, you’re indoors! So, there’s a lot less stress adapting to them. So, I’d recommend the cycling shoes. They absolutely don’t have to be expensive ones. Just as long as you can fit 3 bolt cleats to them.

Or, Xpedo are the company who make the Assoima pedal body itself, and the spindle (aside from the bit with the electronics pod) is based on Xpedo’s designs. Some people went and bought Assiomas and an Xpedo MTB pedal, and transferred the Assoima spindle onto the MTB pedal body. I see Xpedo makes flat pedals. I sort of wonder if there’s any possibility to transfer the Assioma spindle onto one of their flat pedals…

2 Likes

Most importantly, depending on your shoes, you will feel the disccmfort from the protruding parts at the back and especially the front of the pedal either right away or at least after a while on the bike.

I guess you could try forcing the supplied cleats into the pedals to create a more level surface, and I believe there might also be toe clip platforms that can be used with Look-style cleats, but a pair of cycling shoes is obviously the best choice (and easier to find and not necessarily more expensive).

2 Likes

Most importantly, depending on your shoes, you will feel the disccmfort from the protruding parts at the back and especially the front of the pedal either right away or at least after a while on the bike.

I was sort of operating on the assumption that the OP would pedal on the bottom side of the Assiomas. But you’re right about what happens if they try to pedal the correct side up, and with the way the pedals are weighted, it’s probably going to be easier to put the correct side up rather than the bottom up.

And I’d forgotten about the flat pedal adapters. The OP could Google for “flat adapter”, “platform adapter”, or something similar. I see a bunch on the Internet. I still recommend clipless, but one of those adapters would be an infinitely better option than trying to ride those Assiomas with sneakers on.

Some Look pedals have a (comparatively) nice flat surface underneath, but the way the Assiomas (and most of the Looks in this household) are shaped, it’s not an improvement, as the shoes will only be touching the pedal at the axle, so you have a choice between one pressure point or two. (Yeah, I have years of experience of using very unsuitable shoes with clipless pedals, obviously only over very short distances so changing to and from cycling shoes isn’t worth the trouble.)

But actually all this is just useless speculation, you will need cycling shoes to get reliable power readings. The accuracy of the power sensor depends on nothing extra touching the sensor pod, which is unavoidable with both the movement of an unattached foot and the extra width of a toe clip platform.

1 Like

To be honest I didn’t read everything but you can try this.

BUT:

We found that it is important to use straps on our spinning bike.

2 Likes