Same TDZ stage 1, same Watt, 5min difference result on 27km?

Hi,

I’m using Zwift since a few months and was only riding single rides with no reference to group rides/races… However, with the TDZ stage 1, I found out that my colleague who did the same race and distance was significantly quicker with having the same Watt.

I red some Zwift articles about weight, drafting, stage type and bike. We do have a slight different weight, but finishing 5 min later with identical watt and only 27km is really guessing for me?

TDZ stage 1 Flat:
my result
Time:46:06 min
ave Watt: 216W
Distance 27km

Colleague
Time: 41:16 min
ave watt: 215W
Distnace: 27.8

Thanks for helping!

Two things come to mind.

1 - We don’t know the weight difference between you and your colleague.
2 - He could have been in a much bigger group which would naturally go faster because of the draft benefit.

2 Likes
  1. I’m 8kg less than him
  2. I do understand the draft benefit, but I’m really surprised how much delta this brings on just 27 km. I mean I was also not on my own during the ride.

The draft is huge in TDZ. I averaged 44kph at 3.2w/kg (217w) in a big group.

Hard to know accurately without having been there.

Also, TdZ has Double Draft switched on. So the drafting effect is absolutely massive.

4 Likes

Also I believe that where you spent the watts over the course can have a lot of impact. eg. going above your average on uphills and less than your average on downhills will likely net a faster avg speed over the course than spending the average wattage on both uphills and downhills.

Probably a bad illustration, but whatevs. If you put out consistent 200 watts on a course that goes 10km up a 5% hill and then down again at -5%, it will take roughly an hour. OTOH, if you put out 300 watts on the uphill and then 100 watts on the downhill and still ‘average’ ~200 watts over the full 20km, you’d shave somewhere in the ballpark of 10+ minutes off your time.

on a flat road the heavier person putting out the same watts would go faster (I think)

1 Like

Do you and your friend use any other training platform where you could compare Normalized Power (Zwift doesn’t show this metric)? HIs might be much higher.

For the same absolute # of watts, on flat or uphills, the heavier person will go slower (all else equal like aero). I think you meant ‘putting out the same watts/kg’ – in which case the heavier person will be going faster (I think) on a flat.

No watt/kg I can understand.

Thx for all the feedback, it seems I underestimated all parameters in Zwift that influence the watt vs speed overall

Maybe bike choice?

1 Like