Ranking levels?

I see folks with a ranking like A, B, C, D. Is there a test or area of training to determine these rankings. Thanks

What you see is based on the following:

A: 4.0 W/kg FTP or higher
B: 3.2 W/kg to 4.0 W/kg FTP
C: 2.5 W/kg to 3.2 W/kg FTP
D: Under 2.5 W/kg FTP

When you join an event or race, you self-select. If it is a race and you exceed the high limit of your category, depending on the race you may or may not be disqualified from the results.

The test that people do is an FTP test.
As Lin pointed out, the A,B,C,D category is based on the max 20 minute power out put over 20 minutes divided by your weight.
I think when you first join, everyone is automatically assigned a basic FTP setting.
You can adjust this from your setting page but most new subscribers don’t know if the preset value is too high or too low.
It does not matter because as soon as you start riding the program will adjust it upward if you ride harder than the preassigned value but the program will not automatically lower the value if it is set too high.

You can determine your FTP 2 different ways.

1. When you ride in Zwift ,the program automatically monitors your efforts and if you have a 20 minute period where your power output exceeds your current FTP, then the program will give you a notification and increase your FTP setting.
    You can set the value some low like 100 then just ride hard for 20-25 minutes and the program will give you a new value based on your effort. You should warm up for 5-10 minutes first.

2. you can perform a FTP test, This has an automatic warm up period then a specified 20 minute period where you go all out. Don’t start out going all out, you want to go strong all 20 minutes, not 10 min then fatigue.
    You select the FTP test from the “Workout” screen. That’s the same screen where you select which world to ride or push the “E” anytime when the game is running.

also if you link your account to zwiftpower.com they will keep track of your performance and assign a category to you, based on your race performance.

A+ is equal to someone that could be a pro
A is about Cat 1-2
B is about Cat. 3-4
C is about Cat. 4-5
D is just a casual rider that likes to ride a bike

02-15-33-30

3 Likes

A+ is still a long way from pro.

Been riding 6 weeks and although can ride about 300w up ADZ and over 4.5w/kg, I’m minutes behind some As and Bs in races. I’m nowhere near being a competitive cyclist

Been put up to A+ just based on a few climbing stats.

1 Like

HA! Sounds like you have the power, you just need to work on the skill. Zwift is NOT like racing IRL.

Most races that I’m doing on Zwift, under an hour, I’m averaging between 4-5 w/kg, putting out numbers bigger than when I was a pro a few years ago. Keep in mind I was in my early 20’s and pretty awful as far as a pro goes but I would say if you know what to do with the watts, they are worthy of doing a Cat. 1/Pro national calendar event, at least.