Racing Score possible bug

I encountered what I believe to be a racing score bug today. I joined 2 race score events that were nearly back to back. I completed the first event with a 2nd place and my racing score jumped from 674 to 688. I completed the 2nd event with another 2nd place finish and my racing score was a 687 but the event completion portion of my activity says 687 was an increase but it was really a decrease by 1 point. I assume another 2nd place should have been another points increase

I’m speculating based on how I have seen the points increase in the past that there is a bug possibly because both events were so close to one another. I signed up for both events earlier in the day and maybe the 2nd event reset my score back to 674 even though I had completed the first event and got a boost to 688. Attached are the screen shots of both event completions. The 2nd event should either have a higher ending score or the up arrow is an error. Based on past race results I would expect a pair of 2nd places to avg out to a 15-20 point overall gain.

1 Like

I have seen the same (or similar) when doing the Tiny Races.

It appears that each race computes an estimated new Racing Score based on what your official, as it was at the beginning of the day Racing Score and displays that.

Then, overnight, the estimated score is replaced with the final for that race, and that is done in order by time and date etc. With each race adding to your new official Race Score.

So if you do two races, with roughly your race score going up 2 and 4 points from your official respectively, then overnight your official race score will be adjusted by about 6 points (may vary depending on DNF’s etc.)

I suspect that your score going up or down slightly from the estimate may also be due to each race being redone based on all participants official results. I.e. if they also did multiple events, their official result may change, which would (I think) make everyone’s results change slightly.

I suspect this may be done as a simple way to allow people to compete all day in multiple events in the category they started the day at. But does mean the final official results can only be done overnight unless they want to start tracking both an Official Race Score for validating category, and a New Interim Race Score used to evaluate results for subsequent events.

E.g. if tiny races had a max of 530 for C and you started the day at 528, then got bumped to 532 based on the first race, your official score does not change and you can continue to do the rest the tiny races as C.

If Zwift showed your current official Race Score (labelled as such) and then Race Results with estimated change to that, it might make more sense.

I can confirm what Stuart has said. My score is now 699 and I have not done more races. It seems the realtime updates may be a bit off but it self corrects overnight.

1 Like