Preparing first time set up of Cyclops Magnus questions

My questions probably are not that unique to the community but certainly are to me. My Magnus should be delivered today sometime so I would love some opinions.

I plan on using my big screen TV as my display and would like to know current users opinions on what device to use to set that up.  I have the following devices available.

1 Hisense smart TV.  (I don’t know if I can get the Zwift app directly on the TV or not. I will check when I get home)

2 iPhone 7

3 iPad 9.7

4 laptop running Windows 10

5 Roku device attached to TV

Any suggestions as to which of the above devices would be the most reliable and easiest to use as my setup device? I do plan on having all my rides upload to Strava as well. 

Thanks in advance.  

1. Zwift is not available as an app on a TV, I don’t think a TV would have the GPU to handle it anyways.

2. Zwift will run fin on it and you can use a Lightning to HDMI to get it to display on the TV

3. Same as iPhone 7

4. I would use this option for Zwift (I still use it for my treadmill setup), depending on the ports on the laptop you can just use an HDMI cable to get it to display on the TV or you might need a Display Port to HDMI adapter. 

5. Not supported to run Zwift

Do you have an ANT+ dongle for your laptop or are you going to use the Zwift Companion App on the iPhone to bridge the Bluetooth signal to your PC?

If your laptop has an HDMI output and a decent graphics capability, I think that is your best option.  Zwift adjusts its resolution and graphics quality based on the machines performance.

I use my laptop (PC with Windown 10) perched on a crate and a box. I’ve got the ANT Dongle and an extension cord that catches my speed sensor and heart monitor signal. I’ve got Chromecast on my TV, and I can cast the laptop to my TV (not a Smart TV) if I choose to.  I have found that the laptop is sufficient though and I usually watch TV or Netflix while Zwifting.  Really, the entire set up was not very expensive, I already had the laptop and the sensors.  The ANT dongle was more difficult to find in a store so I ordered one on Amazon for about 25$ total.

I’ll echo other sentiments… If it’s a decent laptop with an HDMI port, use that to connect to the TV. And use an ANT+ dongle with USB extension cord to connect to the laptop.

Seems to be more reliable than Bluetooth, imo. 

Hi Philip,

Zwift is not supported on Smart TVs or the Roku, however it is supported on iOS devices and Windows computers. You can check your iOS device app compatibility against this list:

Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch (6th generation). Apple TV.

Furthermore, you can check your Windows 10 computer compatibility against the minimum requirements listed on our hardware page

Any of your supported device platforms should work well for Zwift, and your CycleOps Magnus smart trainer is compatible with both ANT+ and BLE setups. 

We understand it can be confusing with all these pieces of equipment, so we made a “Getting Started” guide that’s available on our knowledge base. Additionally, we have a video that explains how to get your various pieces of equipment set up properly. 

If you encounter any problems or questions, please submit a support ticket and one of our Zwift support team members will be happy to assist you.