Power Meter Support

(Jeff Yoder (PCSM)) #1

How soon do you plan to provide support for the newly released PowerTap P1 Pedals?  I see you have the Garmin Vector, so I only assume the P1 will also be supported.

(Eric C. (Zwift HQ)) #2

Hi Jeff,

The P1 Pedals transmit their power data over ANT+ so, unless PowerTap decided get all funky on us, it should work immediately out-of-the-box.

Thanks!

(Dan Froelich) #3

Powertap P1 pedals have worked all along. I logged my first Zwift ride within a week of their release. They work great.

(Taylor Gonsoulin FREE FLITE TREK) #4

Are you sure P1 pedals are supported?  Here is a conversation I had with PowerTap/Saris this month (October 2015) regarding the P1 pedals via a support request.

Me : I use my iPhone 6 with Strava or Wahoo Fitness and a Wahoo RFLKT+ as my bike computer. Can I zero the P1 pedals witn an iPhone app or PC software using Bluetooth or an ANT+ stick? I would also like to use the P1 on my stationary bike for Zwift rides. Any way to do a zero offset other than a Garmin or Joule head unit?

PT : Sorry about the delayed response.  If you want to manual zero you P1 with via your iPhone you can use the Powertap Mobile App.  This app also will allow you to auto-sync ride data with Strava and will support Wahoo REFLT+. Currently, Zwift does not support the P1, but you can contact them to see if they have any plans.  If you have any more questions do not hesitate to contact us.

Me : Can Zwift pick up the combined ANT+ signal, even if it won’t read the L/R inputs separately?

PT : At this time Zwift is only compatible with our G3 hubs, there is a different protocol for pedal based power systems.

(Dan Froelich) #5

The pedals (just like every other ANT+ power meter) work fine with Zwift as a power meter…which is what the original person asked.

There is currently no utility within Zwift to calibrate/auto-zero/set offset the pedals. You use the iphone app or a headunit. Does Zwift have this function for any other powermeters? I realize some simply require you to backpedal for several rotations. Although, this is also outside Zwift as well.

So, my workflow is this:

jump on the bike, wake up the pedals, calibrate via my garmin (iphone app also works), open zwift, pair them, begin ride.

Therefore this:

"

Me : Can Zwift pick up the combined ANT+ signal, even if it won’t read the L/R inputs separately?

PT : At this time Zwift is only compatible with our G3 hubs, there is a different protocol for pedal based power systems.

"

…is completely wrong. I assure you that Zwift picks up the combined power AND cadence signal. It sounds like they are reiterating their answer to your first question without actually reading your second.

(Eddie Lloyd) #6

I cannot see how the Powertap P1’s can be calibrated using the iPhone app.  Does anyone know how this is done please? I have an iPhone 4S on IOS 9.3.5

(Paul Allen) #7

Eddie,

You should be able to find your answer here:

https://www.powertap.com/support/faqs/p1-pedals

https://www.powertap.com/Uploads/PDF/PowerTap-Manuals/powertap-user-guide-p1-pedals.pdf