New to zwift - Cant keep up

(John Whelan (Btx)) #1

Hi there. I’m new to zwift and finding it really hard to keep up. Ive done a couple of races and group rides in category C and D and have really struggled. Im in pretty good shape but am a bit demoralized with the results.
Can anyone explain how riders that are heavier than me, putting out a lower w/kg and power are finishing 4 minutes faster for a short 30km cycle. Am I missing something here. I’m using a wahoo kicker. Ive increased my power estimation to 100% from 50% - Not sure if that makes a difference.
Appreciate any help.
Thanks

(Mark Murawski) #2

The trainer difficulty won’t change anything. It might be that they are in a group drafting and you are solo “out in the wind”. You need to stay in the draft for races. Much less power needed overall for the speed.
Just a first thought.

(Mark Snowden) #3

Hi John

Have you tried doing the advanced spin down to calibrate your Kickr? I had a similar experience with my new Kickr at the start and once I had done the advanced spin down it made the experience more realistic!

Hope that helps.

Mark

(John Whelan (Btx)) #4

Thanks Mark. I’ll try to keep up with the pack next one and draft more

(John Whelan (Btx)) #5

Hi Mark.
I’ll try that tonight. Ive done a couple of regular spin downs. Thanks for your help.

(John Hallas ) #6

THe group rides don’t have categories as such they have a w/kg which they try to stay at. Stay close to the beacon and don’t follow the riders at the front who shoot off at xx more w/kg for a reason known only to themselves.

If you are racing at C/D then find a 2.0 or 2.5 w/kg group ride and get the feel for that. You should be able to keep up and you will also get the draft effect.
I am a group C trider and I always end up riding on my own in races as they start off much to fast and I just stay at my own pace. I am a TT rider IRL and have no need to try and improve my race start. I keep an eye on the board to see how I am doing against other group C riders.

(Seb ten Cate) #7

Being in a draft for 30km instead of riding by yourself for 30km could easily make a 4 minute difference, even at a lower power. Try to stay with the bunch at the start of the race, they will slow down eventually.

(David Zylberberg Z-man WBR (C)) #8

Drafting is key, just like real racing. Riding in a pack is 30 percent or so easier. Work hard to stay with the lead pack at all costs or find a sub pack to ride with. Getting dropped can easily cost you 4 min at the end

(Joakim Dalfors) #9

You have probably checked this but if you happen to have chosen the TT bike you wont benefit from the draft in group rides and races which make a huge difference.