Need high cadence to reach power zone

Hello! I’m doing the Fondo training plan and today completed the “Make a Break For It” session. I found I had to spin way faster than I’d like to reach 125/140/165 watts. I could not get up to power without spinning 110-120 rpm in my highest gear. Using iPhone and BT connection, screen mirroring to TV. I haven’t had this trouble previously during either free rides or training. Suggestions?

You will need to post your entire setup to get any meaningful help. What trainer, for example?

2 Likes

Kickr Core, using iPhone app only (screen mirroring to tv), pairing via Bluetooth.

If you’re using a Kickr Core and, presumably ERG mode for your workout, the issue is likely that you’re ‘chasing the watts’. In ERG mode a smart trainer (like the Core) will adjust the resistance to meet the prescribed wattage at your current cadence. If you constantly increase the cadence the trainer will constantly reduce the resistance to compensate. So, just pick a comfortable cadence and stay with it and let the trainer make the resistance adjustments.

2 Likes

Reduce the resistance, rather, to meet the prescribed wattage.

Yes, corrected. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you, Nigel - this worked perfectly on my next workout. No longer turning the cadence up to eleven :slight_smile:

1 Like