Mulitple ride leader beacons for large group rides

If this request exists in another post please let me know. I couldn’t find it.

For large social and ‘non-drop’ group rides where the ability of riders can vary significantly it could be useful to have two or maybe more leaders with different beacons to indicate their role in the group. For example:

Yellow (current) for primary ride leader - the person who sets the pace of the ride and around whom all riders should congregate.

Silver (proposed) for secondary ride leader - the person who supervises the back of the main group (assuming the group splits) to help people get back on. Secondary leader would also be backup if primary drops out. That way it wouldn’t be as big a surprise as it is currently when the backup leader appears in an unexpected position because no-one knew who the backup was going to be.

Bronze (proposed) for sweep or designated ‘helper’ - to gather up those who are struggling or who have suffered tech issues and want to be part of a group ride, but have no hope of catching the main group ahead. Being able to form a group at or towards the back allows slower riders to enjoy the draft rather than penalising them for dropping off the back. If they were struggling already they should be encouraged and nurtured to foster an inclusive ride community, not made to feel that continuing is pointless. This helps the primary leader and other riders by not requiring them to slow to a crawl or constantly alter the pace as could otherwise happen.

I’m sure there are other scenarios where this would be useful. If you can suggest any please add them.

Cheers,

Jason.

2 Likes

Good suggestion

1 Like

Very good idea!

1 Like

I think it’s a great idea. Two would probably be enough.

Take the Aussie Hump Day Ride. It’s got one “beacon” and a bunch of lieutenants who help out, but it is very hard to work out to these LT’s are except for in their username. Having the one gold shield beacon is great, but I think secondary leaders should have a half-size silver shield above their heads to make them stand out more.

Don’t forget to vote this up if you haven’t already and also promote it those groups you ride in. THe more votes the more chance it will happen.

Cheers,

Jason.

1 Like