Mountain route suggestion

I was just reading some posts speculating how long the climb might be on the mountain route and I had the following two ideas:

1. As zwift is a constructed 3d world the mountain climb could still rejoin the rest of the route without a massive downhill. It does not have to conform to reality - you could even make some kind of portal. Sitting on a turbo doing a down hill after 60 mins of climbing might be a bit dull.

2. you could have different turn of points so people can do different length climbs - 10,20,40,60 mins ect.

1. That sort of thing is possible as far as the game goes, but as people like to log their rides on Strava, I’m not sure how that would work there. I’m guessing the answer lies more that it shouldn’t be straight down or straight up, so you can’t descend forever without having to do a little climbing.

1. Absolutely, that solves the issue of how long should be? Well it should be as long as it needs to be and people pick what they want.

I also think it shouldn’t just go up, but over, so you descend the other side you get to ride around a city course, lets call it Richmond, for example :wink:

Would it not be a good idea to connect Richmond to Watopia by means of a turn into a side road. That way one can ride through the country side and mix it with some town and come back to the country side.

Another side road could lead to a Velodrome or field track for the guys who use a MTB on their trainers.

1. You could split them by laps in strava. Also I think you can upload and have gaps - i’ve done this by accident in the real world when leaing wahoo paused by accident.

Love the idea of having turns that go to different levels - very gamification.

Come on Zwift - Embrace the Virtual (even more). 

I’m just excited to see something different! It would be cool if in the future a route combined hills from famous courses from the classics like Flanders, Strada Bianche etc.  Maybe even famous mountain climbs like the Stelvio, Alp d’ heuz, bla bla bla.  I’m just happy Zwift is here, period!

I’m just excited to see something different! It would be cool if in the future a route combined hills from famous courses from the classics like Flanders, Strada Bianche etc.  Maybe even famous mountain climbs like the Stelvio, Alp d’ heuz, bla bla bla.  I’m just happy Zwift is here, period!

Could there be a BIG climb that rejoined the course at the TOP of the current island climb?  This would minimize the lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng unwanted descent.

AGREE next course needs to be like Flanders!  Zwift has all the elements: cobbles, hills, dirt, villages…EVERYTHING does not have to be on the island…ie Richmond (cool and I was there) but not the most exciting…Lets have some Roubaix!!!

The mountain course will be across to the East. At least that’s the direction the turn off road is headed and you can see the mountains in the distance. 

Roubaix would be rubbish. We already have a bit of gravel the point of Roubaix is the rough surfaces which you cannot simulate in Zwift! So it would just be another flat course! 

Mark, would Tour of Flanders be acceptable then?

I’m not familiar with the course? Hilly? You also have to remember that they aren’t going to be simulating 100 miles. Would be nice but not going to happen. 

Oh yes definitely a “mini” version…scaled down.  Its got narrow roads and cobbles, small rollers and the hard climbs (called bergs and have names ex: Koppenberg, Oude Kwarmont etc) that are fairly short 1-2 Km.  Very challenging.  I would also like the non-tropical setting of it.  Here is an article about the bergs but not sure links are allowed in posts: http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/travel/flanders-pez-rides-the-best-bergs/#.VsjZueandhY