M1 / Apple Silicon compatibility

@Patrick_McNally - I just renamed my original high.txt config file “highorig.txt”, made a copy of the ultra.txt config file and renamed it “high.txt”. It contains the 1st 5 lines you have above but not the last 5. I think those are implicit in the high and ultra configs; other than the FoliagePercent that Dave mentioned.

The primary thing I notice missing on the M1 Pro Mac are bike shadows, which I got with Ultra on my older 2019 MacBook Pro with the Radeon 5500M graphics card. The new M1 Pro and Max notebooks outperform my older 2019 MacBook Pro, so there’s no reason the newer laptops shouldn’t be “granted” the Ultra profile that my older laptop received if Zwift will ever get around to it.

Those are meant to be present on High, it’s a bug I’m afraid.

yes, but i see no problems. macbook getting warm after 1hr of riding. can’t hear a fan, but it gets really warm…
All other software on my m1 runs perfect without getting my macbook warm

Its a bit frustrating that I have to buy and OLD PC and throw a graphics card into it if I want the best graphics instead of my state of the art brand new Mac products getting permission from Zwift to run ultra.

Is there any apatite for a higher graphics profile for M1 iPads. The M1 MacBook’s have high rather than the basic profile that all iPads have but i seen no reason that a high profile couldn’t be created for the M1 iPads?

Thanks mark

See Make use of the M1 processor on iPad Pros

2 Likes

Hello,

I own a brand new MBA M1 16GB 1TB 8C CPU 8C GPU. I also use KICKR, KICKR Climb and Headwind. What is the best graphic suggestion for Zwift, High or Ultra?
Does Zwift still run on Rosetta2 or native?

best regards

Randolf

It doesn’t run native yet on M1.

On my MBA M1 16GB 1TB 8C CPU 8C GPU Swift runs very very great on Ultra Setting.

Your M1 Mac doesn’t run on Ultra, despite what your config file might say. @Dave_ZPCMR can explain further.

M1 devices run on High profile and up to 1440p (‘Ultra’) resolution. Unfortunately there are no rider shadows at present though, so it looks more like Basic.

Without shadows looks like basic? I think this is a little to hard. For me it looks very great enough! Because all future MacBooks will work with M1 or newer, Zwift will make it nativ, than shadows will not be a question.

Basic profile is the only one (of the four tiers) that does not have rider shadows. They make the single biggest improvement to the appearance of the game in my opinion, yeah.

Do you think rider shadows will come for the M1 CPU in the future?

They should be there already with High profile, it’s a bug.

Do you think Zwift is already informed about the bug?

Yeah, it’s been mentioned many times. :confused:

BTW, if you’re experiencing this bug, open a case with Zwift. It helps to show Zwift that it’s a bug that people would like fixed sooner than later.

Great App. It actually interesting seeing how the CPU temp is controlled on an M1, it looks like it reduces power to the chip before it turns on the fan, almost like the fan is a last resort. It does really work tho, max fan brings down temps 10deg quickly. I also see that M1 Air users are now getting good performance (better than macbook pro!) from just a £10 thermal pad on the CPU.

I have noticed some changes to how the game is handled. Its not using just one core anymore, its seems to be spreading out over two, maybe this was a OS change rather than Zwift tho. Previously 1 core used to max out running zwift, now it does not. Running zwift now no longer cooks my M1 pro.

Still cant believe they havent fixed the shadow bug tho… or released a Silicon version for the M1. its been around longer than a year now!

4 Likes

I think that are many people out there with M1, M1 Pro and M1 Max CPUs. People bought that because of a hugh performance change. It is not satisfying Zwift only works translated on Rosetta2!

8 Likes