Long Covid & Zwift

Anyone on here keeping on Zwifting with Long Covid? Maybe you might fancy a social ride and chat on how you’re managing?

I’ve had covid 4 or 5 times including March 2020 before any vaccinations. Chronic but fluctuating heart and inflammation issues - palpitations, elevated HR, reduced FTP plus covid toes, joint issues, weird skin sensations too.

It comes and goes - in that time I’ve vEverested with 9 x AdZ in 12 hours, ridden 300 miles off road over 3 days on the South Downs Way in southern England. But can’t run a lot of the time (HR just too high - makes it a hateful experience), and every time I think I’m getting back to fitness a cold or flu knocks all the symptoms up to max.

Thought there must be some other folk on here struggling too… Say hi if you are! I find other people’s experiences of Long Covid really helpful. :slight_smile:

Almost 2 years for me. Lost taste/smell and it really hasn’t come back right still. I went from being able to hike 10+ miles a day to barely being able to do a couple hundred feet. Suffered from PEMS (post exertional malaise for about a year after that). Headaches nearly every day. Headaches and most of the PEMS has gone away but my HR does still tend to be on the high side. I seem to hit my max HR really fast and tend to be in Zone 4 no matter what I do. Using Zwift to try some Zone 2 training to keep my HR down but have been enjoying some group rides too! Just ‘friended’ you on the companion app.

3 Likes

Hey Ellie, thanks. Lots of similarities. One thing that keeps me positive is it’s always changing, so always feels like improvement is possible. Some weeks/months can be nearly normal…

Followed you back :slight_smile:

I had {something} in February/March 2022. That was during the shortage of test kits in the US, and the closest place I could get a same day result test was over 40 minutes away.
I had aches, bad cough, fever. It might have been COVID. It might have been bronchitis. I tried to do some exercising, and while I was riding, it wasn’t bad, but after I finished, I’d sit and cough violently for 10 minutes. It was a dry cough.
Those symptoms went away after a few days, but for months, I just didn’t have the energy to do more than 20 or 30 minutes on the bike. I was doing some walking, and saw improvements over time there, but cycling was still a challenge.
Late August, my ride partner stuck with me on a 2 1/2 hour ride, pushing me along, and it seemed like that broke the back on the fatigue.
My power and speed are better than before the illness.
I hope you can get over the hump, whatever it is that ails you.

2 Likes