Lead-In distance?

(Ricardo Santos) #1

Can someone explain Lead-in Distance? I tried searching for it and see a bunch of folks discussing it in forums in terms of unexpected time they used up but no clear explanation of what it actually is?

Thanks,
R

(Kurt Obermeyer *USMES*) #2

It’s the distance from the start pen to the finish line on the course that you are racing. For example, it is about 4 miles from the start pen to the start/finish line on the Classique course in London.

(i van) #3

Lead ins are really confusing the first few times you have to deal with them. Every event course has a determined start/finish line. The problem is that events start in the pen. The lead in is the distance from the pen to the start of the course start/finish line.

IMO events should start at… you know… the start line.

(Alan) #4

Is the ”Lead In” part of the actual race/results?

(Mark Murawski) #5

Yes. Almost every race starts from the gun so the lead in is included.

(Pete) #6

I’m sorry, but these explanations about what Lead-in Distance is make no sense to me. What’s the point of it?! Why not simply call the pen the starting line, eliminate having a confusing lead-in distance, and call it a day?! What am I missing here?

(Mark Murawski) #7

The listed loops in the race description many times don’t start at the pens even though the race does start right away. So the lead in distance gives you a heads up as to how the race is going to go. This was huge in one stage of the Tour of NY were the lead in went up 2 climbs and was very hard - then the laps started. Surprised most everyone.